How do you class Titanic Irish British or American

Senan is Irish? My bad. Well I take it back, I like the Irish cricket team. The English cricket team, however, is another matter. Though it is difficult in itself to call them the English cricket team as a good percentage of them aren't actually English. More technicalities!

Steve, you're missing out. That's all that can be said.

Anyway, off topic....

Cheers,
Adam.

>>Capt. Lord denigned ever being told of a sinking ship nearby when he was told by his crew. Ismay believed him and stayed with him to the end. <<

He did? Where is the evidence to support that one???

Lord stated he was never told that there was a ship nearby that looked strange. His crew saw white rockets and notified him that there were rockets. Upon looking through there binoculars they noticed a ship that looked to be sinking and contacted Lord. He denighed being told of this. Ismay, who denighed ever seeing the mystery ship, believed that Lord was telling the truth. However most of Lords crew saw the Titanic that night, and told him that a "ship looked to have its big side out of the water". Lord told the senate inquery he was not told of that. Ismay told the papers Lord told the truth.

Perhaps when the English realise that the Irish,Welsh and Scots are not English but British?

lol A dangerous road to travel Monica!

JC

>>When are the "Irish" going to accept that they are now American, Australian, NZ, British, Indian, Thai, or whatever?<<

We do. Vide Article 2 of the Irish Constitution. It is rather enlightened...

"It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage."

You can see that there is little of territoriality here, which is a good thing. It seems a fluid concept of consciousness of being Irish, and of full and indeed warm acceptance of those living abroad who wish to self-express.

It displays none of the underlying ignorance, presumption and haughtiness evident in your question, Monica.

It's all about self awareness... and respect for the otherness of others.

Well said Senan. I'm almost fully Irish. I love the irish culture, yet have never left the USA. As an irish American I'm proud of my ancestry and always will. No matter where your born (in my case California but now in Colorado)you should be proud. At least ireland recognises that even though I was born in another country doesn't mean I'm not irish. Its quite the oppasite. I love being the 70 % irish I am, and recognise that I'm american only by birth.

Back