How many cars went down with Titanic

I know of one insurance claim for a 1912 Renault Automobile brought over by a first class passenger. Does anybody know how many cars were aboard Titanic? In James Cameron's film, you can see cars being loaded onto the ship in Southhampton and then Jack and Rose got nookie in a car in a hull near the head. Thanks.

Frank,

The car you see being loaded into the hold and the
car being the focus point in the movie was the
same car in both scenes. Only one car was aboard
Titanic.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the info, how did you find that out about the cars?

I figured that there must be at least 10 cars on board because of Titanic's massive cargo capacity and the fact that so many rich people were on board that could afford to bring an automobile abroad.

Frank

Keep in mind that this was 1912 and there were not very many cars around in those days. Even rich people still might rely on their horse and buggy. It wasn't until 1913 that Henry Ford began using interchangeable parts and assembly line techniques.

For your info, the full list of everything on the Titanic is in the back of the Eaton and Haas classic "Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy." Mr. W.E. Carter's Renault is simply listed as "1 case auto." The list shows "1 case auto parts" shipped by someone or some company named G. Prost, but no other cars.

It was once stated in a Russian TV documentary that there were as many as three cars in the cargo hold of Titanic...
What? Did I miss something? o_O

I only know of "1 case auto" (that is, Wiiliam Carter's famous Renault).

The cargo manifest only shows one complete motorcar, which was indeed the Renault of the Carter family. However there was 1 case with auto parts belonging to a "Prost. G".
Thanks Thomas!

Yep, I see.

Attachments

• Cargo manifest part of.jpg
    Cargo manifest part of.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 33
Back