How was Aluminum Powder stored in 1915 WW1

How was Aluminum Powder stored in 1915 (WW1) for transport on passanger and cargo ships? Patrick O'Sullivan says the it was stored in barrels in cases, but does not describe what types of barrel and cases they were stored in, or what these barrels and cases were made from. Diana preston admitting that it is not known what types of barrels and cases it was stored in claims the british would have shipped in a container strong enough to break open if something should strike it or attempt to pierce it. anyone here have any ideas what aluminum powder at the time was stored in for transport on passanger and cargo ships?

Jesse,

From what I gather from shipping and storage methods from the time that I know of, Aluminum powder was stored and shipped in regular wooden barrels or tins possibly even in glass bottles like gunpowder and liquid nitrogen would also have been similarly shipped and stored during the era

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian

from what you have said that seems proof enough to me to say that Aluminum Powder being transported on british ships was not properly stored, as tin and wood barrels can easily be penetrated by objects striking and hitting them, and also easily break if say a torpedo hits a ship and shakes the ship and throws the barrel thus causing it to break.

Hi Jesse,

Yes I agree, these highly volatile cargos were not packaged for war, but then again before the 1940's I do not think we really had much knowledge or need for "war proof" packaging, as usual as time went on explosives were better packaged with stronger more resilient containers, but like any government it took disasters like the Lusitania to set these safeguarding improvements in motion....

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian

can you please tell your source for your 2nd post on this subject?

*From what I gather from shipping and storage methods from the time that I know of, Aluminum powder was stored and shipped in regular wooden barrels or tins possibly even in glass bottles like gunpowder and liquid nitrogen would also have been similarly shipped and stored during the era*

if the source is published please tell what book or web page it can be found on, if unpublished please send me a private message or email

Back