I found these deck photos of the Olympic online

>>Some are from ebay - yes! It's the best place to find unseen photographs.<<

It's also a good way to get burned for copyright infringement unless you have the permission of the owner to post them. Tread carefully here.

Michael

I made it clear in an earlier post these photographs were from ebay in this topic but you did not say anything then or remove them and nor did the other moderator who was posting here. But I will be happy to take them off if you want :)

I have contacted a moderator about it!

Hello, Jon---

I take that that's a reference to an email I saw in my Inbox (but didn't have a chance to read) before I left for work this morning. I'll respond to it tonight unless this message covers it.

What you do on a web page that you create is your decision. We can't advise you what to do or not do there; that's why I didn't say anything about the links you provided in your early messages in this thread. Links to other sites aren't a concern, since any copyright issues then are between the owner of the copyright and the site owner and don't implicate this message board.

For the Board's general rule with respect to copyright matters, look here.

Jon, you may find it useful to read the links and information I posted at Respecting Copyright Guidelines Important

Links to websites with photos are not an issue, though we do expect you to give due credit to the website and whoever owns the material. However, if you're taking photos from somebody else's website and adding them to yours without permissions or giving due credit, that could get you into some very hot water by way of civil and even criminal sanctions and penalties.

Please understand that we're not trying to beat up on you. We're trying to help you avoid a potential for a day in court that would be extremely unpleasant. Copyright can be a real minefield so better safe then sorry.

The last time I was following those 2 deck photos, via E-Bay, they seemed to have had a substantial high-bid, $160.00 something. As of yesterday I see they are gracing the E-Bay site once again. Someone trying to make a fast buck or perhaps a reserve was not met? I just love the photo of the crew working the anchor/capstan.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

ADDENDUM for Jon: In regards to your site... what is the significance, or relation to OLYMPIC, of the persons in a small motor craft sporting the British ensign?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

And it only gets better...currently there is a RPPC of OLYMPIC sporting her stern damage, a result of collison with HAWKE. What makes it so special is the Belfast postmark and entailing message.

I hope to be a participant in that closing auction.

Many yrs. ago my friend Terrell sent me a copy of a regular OLYMPIC postcard, from his collection, which carried a similar message. In part - "We arrived with a nasty hole in our side".

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Pardon me moderators, my post was meant for Olympic items on E-Bay. Better send me to my proper suite. Don't really know how I veered into the *Smoke Room* as I am a non-smoker...:)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

[Moderator's note: This post and the one above it, originally posted in an unrelated thread, have been moved to the pre-existing one, discussing the same subject. JDT]

MESSAGE TO JON DALBYBALL:

FURTHER TO YOUR ADDMISSION OF COPYING PHOTOGRAPHS FROM EBAY, PLEASE VERY CAREFUL.

Mark Chirnside and I nearly took someone to court for this same thing as the photo was an original, but someone on ebay copied it and then started to splash it about on the net and this site too!

be very careful, it is very dangerous ground.

best wishes

John

Those are some interesting images. I particularly like the image from 4-28-35. That was taken shortly after her final voyage from NYC was completed and she was laid up. The stern of Mauretania is just visible.

Back