I got some INFORMATION on the LOST 1912movie

>>Notably absent . . . was the Kraft Theater television production from the '50s.

And there's that one episode of Walter Cronkite's CBS series "You Are There."

Roy

There were many television shows with Titanic themes. The Kraft version of "A Night to Remember" was shot live with flooded sets, a large cast and stock footage of the German Titanic film. I have seen copies for sale on Ebay.

The "You Are There" episode was available to schools on 16mm film after it aired on CBS. THS has a copy.

Alcoa Presents One Step Beyond had the Titanic episode "Night of April 14th". Rod Serling's Night Gallery had "Lone Survivor". The Time Tunnel's pilot episode was "Rendesvous With Yesterday", where the two time travelers went back to the Titanic. The Voyagers television show had a Titanic episode with the only commercially shown footage of the sinking from "Raise the Titanic."

The 50s black and white show Telephone Time had Cloris Leachman playing "Unsinkable Mrs. Brown" before she reprised the role in "S.O.S. Titanic." This 30 minute show had a generous portion of stock footage from the German Titanic movie, too. I'm sure we can think of other Titanic shows, like "Upstairs, Downstairs", etc. Robert H. Gibbons

Here's some interesting information about a never-made Titanic film, involving some of Hollywood's greatest movie makers. David O. Selsnick brought from England Alfred Hitchcock to direct a Titanic film based on Hanson Baldwin's RMS TITANIC short story. Hitchcock wasn't very enthusiastic about making a Titanic film, and was reported to say he would just start with a closeup of a single rivet and then track the camera backwards for two hours, revealing the entire ship. In other words--no drama! (Wish he could have seen A Night to Remember, or Cameron's Titanic!). Another giant filmmaker with a Titanic film on his agenda was Howard Hughes. It has been reported that either Selsnick or Hughes was planning to purchase the Leviathan and sink her during the filming! Hughes was preoccupied with his aviation accomplishments, and a memo from David O. Selsnick to one of his staff now preserved in the Ransom Library at the University of Texas in Austin, said he would try to give more attention to his Titanic film after he finished "the Civil War movie" (Gone With the Wind!) Neither Selsnick nor Hughes made their Titanic movie, and we end our story with a letter from Daryl Zanuck of 20th Century Fox in December, 1952 writing to David O. Selsnick about the rights to the name "Titanic." It seems even though Alfred Hitchcock didn't like the idea of directing a Titanic movie, he had registered the name "Titanic" with one of the film unions. Howard Hughes had done the same, and Zanuck had just finished his Titanic movie starring Clifton Webb under the name "Nearer My God to Thee" (Harper Carter, who played Norman Sturgis, showed me his script which was still titled "Nearer My God to Thee"). Zanuck wrote Selsnick that he had gotten a release of the name "Titanic" from Hitchcock and Hughes for free, and now he (Selsnick) was holding out for money for the name. Zanuck said he knew Selsnick had paid only $350 for the rights to Baldwin's short story, so thought in the spirit of the Christmas holidays, he should give Zanuck the name for free! I guess the spirit of Christmas won Selsnick over, because in April, 1953, Zanuck released his Titanic film under the name "Titanic". The Selsnick files about his Titanic movie are fascinating to read. They are in the Ransom Library on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. Robert H. Gibbons

A couple of links regarding the above

Saved From The Titanic
(1912)
Debuting a month after the sinking, and starring an actual survivor, Dorothy Gibson, this was the first telling of the Titanic tale.
Made by Eclair Films this 10 minute short stretched the truth and presented nothing more interesting than a survivor re-enacting her supposed experiences aboard a liner in NY Harbor, wearing the dress she wore the night the ship went down.

Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Back