In search of music aboard - All classes

Marie L

I continue our topic there,
( Exhibition in Paris 2023-Reconstruction - Third room class)
at its better place now, to keep talking of music,
and let the violin in third class in the other.

So, the actual list we've got is :

Not boarded:
-Howard Irwin, clarinet

Crew:
-Charles Herbert Lightoller, banjo (survivor)

First class:
-Marjorie Newell, violin and piano (survivor)
-Berthe Antonine Mayné, singer (survivor)

Second class:
The orchestra (all victims, three buried ?)
(to complete precisely with their names and instruments)

Third class:

-Alfonzo Meo-Martinez, violin maker (victim)
-Eugene Patrick Daly, bagpipes (survivor)
-a woman, piano (?)
-Marian Meanwell, (unique child of a professor of music) (victim)

And as yesterday, taking my virtuals tickets of the day I found this, in Bertha Lehman biography:
Loud voices in the adjacent cabin made her nervous so she dressed and went outside. She met Roger Bricoux of the ship's orchestra who told her she had to fetch her coat as all passengers had to change to another steamer. He helped Bertha to put on her life-preserver and led her to the Boat-Deck.
I suggest we can add all stories with music aboard we find.

For the Irwin's clarinet:
I think I will go to this exhibition next year.

Last edited:
Dear Marie

I am going through every biography of the male third class passengers on this site. I understood you were doing the female side. The information about musically gifted persons is quite scarce, I have to admit and sometimes I stumble on something music related. Up to now, I found this :
(Underlined are the passenger biographies where I found the info)

• About the lady playing piano :

After the collision Wennerström took some Swedish girls to the boats, he then returned to steerage:

One of our friends, a man by the name of Johan Lundahl who had been home to the old country on a visit and was going back to the United States said to us, "Good-bye friends; I'm too old to fight the Atlantic." he went to the smoking room and there on a chair was awaiting his last call. So did an English lady; She sat down by the piano and, with her child on her knee, she played the piano until the Atlantic grave called them both.

• Henry Sutehall and Howard Irwin who played for money. Howard didn´t board, but gave his luggage to Harry. Irwin´s luggage has been recovered

Neither Henry Sutehall nor Howard were wealthy people, so it was a second piece of good fortune that Henry won a sweepstake that helped to fund the rest of the tour. Both were also musicians, and they were likely able to earn extra money in this way.

in this link https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/tragic-friendship.html is mentioned that Sutehall indeed was a violin player. Could be related to the Cherbourg violin.
Irwin played the clarinet, according to this article

• Here could be a link with the lady playing the piano. The Sages were a large family who all perished. It could be mother playing with one of her younger kids on her knees. As you can read in Mr Sage's biography, the family piano had been prepared for shipping to their final destination
John Sage insisted that the family piano and other furniture was crated up and sent ahead and sent over £1000 with which to pay the balance of the farm

• Some other passengers:

Al-Amir Faris Shihab was
A gifted musician, Fāris was on his way to New York to pursue a career in that field.

William Henry Nancarrow
He was renowned in his locality for his singing abilities.

And a testimony that indeed more steerage persons were musically gifted

Edward Ryan
On the evening of 14 April Edward recalled the gaiety and fun times they had in steerage, many singing and dancing with some people playing accordions and piccolos, among other instruments. That night he went to bed at eleven o’clock and (...)

This is what I discovered up to now. The rest is to follow later.

I got a couple others:

First class passenger:
  • Léontine Pauline Aubart (1887-1964): French cabaret singer working at Lapin agile
  • Margaretta Corning Spedden (1872-1950): Followed musical studies
  • Marie Grice Young (1876-1959): Gifted pianist and music teacher, who gave piano lessons to Ethel, Archibald and Quentin Roosevelt, the children of the former American President Theodore Roosevelt
Crewmembers
Electrician Boylett Herbert Jupe (1881-1912): Played the ukelele

Regarding the band, except for one, all their instruments are known for certain:
Quintet
Wallace Henry Hartley (1878-1912): Bandleader and violist
William Theodore Brailey (1887-1912): Pianist
John Fredrick Preston Clarke (1883-1912): Contra-bassist
John Wesley Woodward (1879-1912): Cellist
And for the trio:
John Law Hume (1890-1912): First violonist
Roger Marie Léon Joseph Bricoux (1891-1912): Cellist
Georges Alexandre Krins (1889-1912): Violist

Percy Cornelius Taylor his instrument is in debate, as discussed here, it’s possible he played the viola.

I got a couple others:

First class passenger:
  • Léontine Pauline Aubart (1887-1964): French cabaret singer working at Lapin agile
  • Margaretta Corning Spedden (1872-1950): Followed musical studies
  • Marie Grice Young (1876-1959): Gifted pianist and music teacher, who gave piano lessons to Ethel, Archibald and Quentin Roosevelt, the children of the former American President Theodore Roosevelt
Crewmembers
Electrician Boylett Herbert Jupe (1881-1912): Played the ukelele

Regarding the band, except for one, all their instruments are known for certain:
Quintet
Wallace Henry Hartley (1878-1912): Bandleader and violist
William Theodore Brailey (1887-1912): Pianist
John Fredrick Preston Clarke (1883-1912): Contra-bassist
John Wesley Woodward (1879-1912): Cellist
And for the trio:
John Law Hume (1890-1912): First violonist
Roger Marie Léon Joseph Bricoux (1891-1912): Cellist
Georges Alexandre Krins (1889-1912): Violist

Percy Cornelius Taylor his instrument is in debate, as discussed here, it’s possible he played the viola.
Thank you so much for your contribution to this thread. I´m still prying into third class passenger's lifes.... Do you, or anybody else, know other sites where to find related information, like newspaper archives, local journals etc...?

Hi,

I will read that this week-end and make the entire new list.

On my side with my virtuals tickets of the day,
I find some in second class:
I've found by links with Miss kate Buss,
in Ernest Courtenay Carter (victim) biography:

On the evening of 14 April, Carter presided over a hymn service for about a hundred passengers in the second class dining saloon and he preceded each hymn with a history of the hymn and its author. Robert Douglas Norman played the piano and Marion Wright sang a solo of Lead Kindly Light. Among the other hymns sung were Eternal Father, Strong to Save (also known as For those in peril on the Sea), On the Ressurection Morning, There is a Green Hill Far Away (for which Marion Wright again sang solo) and the final hymn was Now the Day is Over.

Marion Wright, singer (survivor)
Robert Douglas Norman, piano (victim)
And Alfred Pain, singer (victim)
On board the Titanic Alfred took under his wing Marion Wright from Yoevil. The two had mutual acquaintances in Somerset and Alfred had agreed to look after her until she was able to meet her fiancé Arthur Woolcott in New York. According to Miss Wright they met for the first time on the Friday after sailing. He seemed so good at getting up games for the young fellows on board. We have several meals together and he told me how much he had enjoyed his stay in England. On the Sunday I asked him to come to the service in second class saloon. He did, and again in the evening came with a number of others to sing hymns in the dining saloon, and himself chose one or two. I believe he especially asked for "Abide With Me, Fast Falls The Eventide." Afterwards we had supper with one or two other people who had been singing with us, and then retired to our berths.

Also, Sydney Clarence Stuart, singer (survivor)
He recalled the hymn services aboard the ship:
Miss Wright ... sang There Are Green Hills Far Away, and For Those in Peril At Sea. At the request of Mr. Carter we also sang Now the Day Is Over and in closing sang: Stand Up For Jesus. I remember that because we had no music so I led the singing. ‘Now give us five minutes of the Gospel,’ I said to Rev. Carter and so the meeting closed, and I am sure that everybody enjoyed it.” - The Auburn Citizen, 23 April 1912

I've read of someone else at flute and piano, I must check it and add later.

I've refind it, he was Alfred Pain
Next his profession his chief delight was music. He had a trained, critical ear, was an expert at the piano and flute, and his greatest happiness was, when at home, playing with his mother and brother, Dr Albert Pain, a former at the piano and Albert on the violin.

Last edited:
I'm curious if you know of any instances where people just unexpectedly played the piano, performing modern music of the day not just religious tunes, and had anyone singing along?

Interesting postings, btw.

I did the round of all male 3rd Class biographies, and apart from Mr Daly´s Irish Uillean pipes, there was no mention anymore of any musical talents amongst them.
I did however find the spouse of Mr A. F. Dyker.

Anna Elisabeth Judith Dyker
Wife of Adolf Fredrik Dyker. USA nationality, of Swedish descent, born in Worcester MA, living in New Haven CT
She was training to become a singer and was also giving music lessons and had attended Yale Music School.

Extract from the Red Cross Files:
(...) She had been studying in the Yale Music School, and occasionally sang in churches. As a result of her experience her voice left her entirely and there was uncertainty for some time that she would ever regain it.(...)

After the disaster Elisabeth Dyker continued as a music teacher, (...)

I will continue my research with the female 3rd class

I'm curious if you know of any instances where people just unexpectedly played the piano, performing modern music of the day not just religious tunes, and had anyone singing along?

Interesting postings, btw.
I have no idea whatshowever about a spontaneous musical performance in first or second class. The band on Titanic most probably had a schedule when and where to play in second and first class, they would split up in a quintet and a trio.

I read that in third class general room people played music, since the band was not scheduled in that class, I assume there were more spontaneous outbreaks of musical entertainment. They did have a piano in their common room. As for hymns, I suppose they would only have done it on Sunday at mass and when not in any religious situation, they would play the more recognisable popular tunes of the day for more entertaining purposes and for everybody to sing and dance along.

The band on Titanic most probably had a schedule when and where to play in second and first class, they would split up in a quintet and a trio.
Here's the schedule of the quintet:
10:00–11.00 After Second Class Entrance foyer, C Deck
11:00 –12:00 First Class Entrance hall, Boat Deck
16:00 –17:00 First Class Reception Room on D-deck
17:00-18:00 After Second Class Entrance foyer, C Deck
20:00 –21:15 First Class Reception Room on D-deck
21:15 –22:15 After Second Class Entrance foyer, C Deck
The trio played in the reception of the á la carte restaurant and café Parisien on B-deck.

Some popular tunes back then where 'Maxixe' (Rosenbaum toy pig) and 'Tonkinoise' , and that there were 'local' lyrics ie more popular, sonewhat unpolished lyrics on the melody. I´m curious to know if it this is the case for other countries. I put a link to the songs in the official French version. I know the more populair version in my grandmother's (°1925) Dutch (Brussels dialect) version.

Ma Tonkinoise

Matchiche

So, the current summary list:
(s)=survivor, (v)=victim, bS= buried at Sea, bH= buried at Halifax, bE= buried in England, #number=body number

Not boarded:

- Howard Irwin, (1887-1953), Clarinet

Crewmembers:

- Charles Herbert Lightoller (s) (1874-1952), Banjo
- Boylett Herbert Jupe (v) (1881-1912), Ukulele

First Class:
- Léontine Pauline Aubart, "Ninette" (s) (1887-1964), French cabaret singer, working at Lapin Agile
- Berthe Antonine Mayné, "Mrs de Villiers" (s) (1887-1962), Singer
- Marjorie Anne Newell (s) (1889-1992), Violin and piano
- Margaretta Corning Spedden, "Daisy" (s) (1872-1950), Followed musical studies
- Marie Grace Young (s) (1876-1959), Gifted pianist and music teacher

Second Class:

-The Orchestra:
Quintet:

- Wallace Henry Hartley (v- bE- #224) (1878-1912) Bandleader and violist
- William Theodore Brailey (v) (1887-1912), Pianist
- John Frederik Preston Clarke (v- bH- #202) (1883-1912), Contra-bassist
- John Wesley Woodward (v) (1879-1912) Cellist
- Percy Cornelius Taylor (v) (1872-1912) Maybe played Viola, / Pianist, cellist, choir member

Trio:
- John Law Hume (v- bH - #193) (1890-1912), First Violin
- Roger Marie Léon Joseph Bricoux (v) (1891-1912), Cellist
- Georges Alexandre Krins (v) (1889-1912), Violist

-Hymn Service:
- Robert Douglas Norman (v - bH -#287) (1884- 1912), Piano
- Alfred Pain (v) (1888-1912), Singer, expert at the piano and flute
- Sydney Clarence Stuart (s) (1887-1941), Led the singing
- Marion Wright (s) (1885-1965), Singer

Third Class:

- Al-Amir Faris Shibab (v) (1886-1912), A gifted musician, was on his way to NY to pursue a career in that field
-
Eugene Patrick Daly (s) (1883-1965), Bagpipes
- Anna Elisabeth Judith Dyker (s) (1889-1961), Was training to become a singer and give music lessons
- Marian Meanwell (v) (1849-1912), Unique child of a music professor
- Alfonzo Meo-Martinez (v - bH- #201) (1864-1912), Violin maker
- William Henry Nancarrow (v) (1876-1912), Was renowned in his localities for his singing abilities
- Edward Ryan (s) ( 1888-1974), Singer,
and others, Singers, dancers, accordeons and piccolos among others instruments
- Henry Sutehall (v) (1886-1912), Violin
- Sages Family, (v) Piano
Annie Elizabeth Sage (v) (1867-1912) married to John George Sage (v) (1867-1912), and their nine children:
Stella Anna (v) ( 1891-1912), George John (v)(1892-1912), Douglas Bullen (v) (1893-1912), Frederick (v)( 1895-1912), Dorothy Florence (v) ( 1897-1912), Anthony William (v-bS-#67)(1899-1912), Elizabeth Ada (v)(1901-1912), Constance Gladys (v)(1904-1912) and Thomas Henry (v)(1907-1912).

One little thing to notice:
The Violin maker, Alfonzo Meo-Martinez body, number #201 was close to the Contrabassist, John Frederik Preston Clarke one, body number #202.

Last edited:
I did the research of all third class passengers. Whilst reading I stumbled on First Class passenger Eleanor Cassebeer, who was a music teacher after the disaster, and Second Class passenger Richard Hocking.

?Eleanor Cassebeer- class1-S-D31 Piecing together a Titanic puzzle
  • ‘For a while Eleanor taught music in their home (...)’
> she taught music after the Titanic adventure. If she would have studied music after, it would take many years before she could teach, IMO, she must have learned in her youth…. I doubt she would have taken music courses during all her troubles

?Kate Connolly - Class3- V Kate Connolly : Titanic Victim
  • Her elder sister Maggie, a music teacher,
  • sister Margaret rallied for years to come and continued to work as a music teacher
> could she have had a musical talent? [ I include just in case]

Honor Fleming - Class3 - V Nora Fleming
  • ‘From what I've heard about Nora (Honor) Fleming, she was a talented singer and apparently all the Flemings were talented at singing and music (according to my Dad - He is convinced that we're related to a fella called Tommy Fleming I think?).’
    (Quote from her grandniece ETmember Lorry90)

• ‘And then, this part from the response in bio
    "[Margaret Devaney] was interviewed by the New York Herald...At the time of the collision, she and a group of others were singing and having a good time. 'A girl from my own parish, Anna Fleming, was entertaining us with Irish songs when the first word of trouble came. She went down with the Titanic, poor girl, and I believe she was singing or joking at the time, she was that jolly'."(Extract response in bio from ETmember Kritina Johnson)
Alma Cornelia Palsson
  • She had a mouth organ in her purse or pockets ( mackay-Bennet #206)

Second Class : Richard George Hocking
  • In Elizabeth Hocking ‘s biography
“When they left Penzance they had a glorious send-off as her son George had previously been a member of the YMCA choir and said choir had come along to sing the family out of Penzance. “

On my side, with few tickets these days,
I found one really in the subject, by link,
in Second class:
Henry Price Hodges,
He later moved to Southampton and became a music and pianoforte dealer.
And he was in the bodies flotting in cold water, body #149

Other interesting but far:
In Third class, Elin Matilda Hakkarainen:
It's only the son who become music teacher,
did her mother played music, I haven't read the book he wrote on her story, maybe the answer is into the book:

Her son Gerald later worked as a music teacher and was married in 1947 to Jane Irene Stimmel (b. 1927) and had three children. He later penned a book about his mother's experiences on Titanic, I'm Going to See What Has Happened. He died in Lake, Ohio on 20 March 1995.

And there was this week a subject on a girl in first class, child of a singer,
I must research and find it another time,
I don't know how but my links disapeared...
There she is:
Virginia Ethel Emanuel, 6 years old
But apparently this time in Third class (I've read too fast ..)
(it's her mother who use to travel on first and her with her maid in second
She travelled to London in early 1912, arriving aboard the Olympic on 31 January disembarking at Plymouth. Elise travelled in first-class whilst Virginia travelled in second class, chaperoned by her American nursemaid Elizabeth Dowdell. With Elise reportedly being handed a six-month contract for shows in London, Virginia was soon sent back to New York again accompanied by Miss Dowdell.)

Virginia's mother was an actress and aspiring singer, going most frequently by the name Elise Martin.

Flotting in cold water :
(I will look better on these bodies list when music subject will touch its end, but it's now seems a little interesting linked with music)

And I notice too that the girl you find, with mouth organ in her purse or pockets, Alma Cornelia Palsson, was not so far in cold water , body #206, from The Violin maker, Alfonzo Meo-Martinez body, number #201 and the Contrabassist, John Frederik Preston Clarke one, body number #202.

To update the list who do you think I add from these three,
only the music dealer,
him and the child or the three?

Last edited:
The new current summary list:
(s)=survivor, (v)=victim, bS= buried at Sea, bH= buried at Halifax, bE= buried in England, #number=body number

Not boarded:

- Howard Irwin, (1887-1953), Clarinet

Crewmembers:

- Charles Herbert Lightoller (s) (1874-1952), Banjo
- Boylett Herbert Jupe (v) (#73-bS) (1881-1912), Ukulele

First Class:
- Léontine Pauline Aubart, "Ninette" (s) (1887-1964), French cabaret singer, working at Lapin Agile
- Eleanor Cassebeer (s) (1875-1969/70), She taught music at home after Titanic
- Berthe Antonine Mayné, "Mrs de Villiers" (s) (1887-1962), Singer
- Marjorie Anne Newell (s) (1889-1992), Violin and piano
- Margaretta Corning Spedden, "Daisy" (s) (1872-1950), Followed musical studies
- Marie Grace Young (s) (1876-1959), Gifted pianist and music teacher

Second Class:

-The Orchestra:
Quintet:

- Wallace Henry Hartley (v) ( #224-bE ) (1878-1912) Bandleader and violist
- William Theodore Brailey (v) (1887-1912), Pianist
- John Frederik Preston Clarke (v) ( #202-bH ) (1883-1912), Contra-bassist
- John Wesley Woodward (v) (1879-1912) Cellist
- Percy Cornelius Taylor (v) (1872-1912) Maybe played Viola, / Pianist, cellist, choir member

Trio:
- John Law Hume (v) (#193-bH ) (1890-1912), First Violin
- Roger Marie Léon Joseph Bricoux (v) (1891-1912), Cellist
- Georges Alexandre Krins (v) (1889-1912), Violist

-Hymn Service:
- Robert Douglas Norman (v) ( #287- bH ) (1884- 1912), Piano
- Alfred Pain (v) (1888-1912), Singer, expert at the piano and flute
- Sydney Clarence Stuart (s) (1887-1941), Led the singing
- Marion Wright (s) (1885-1965), Singer

Others

- Richard George Hocking (v) (1888-1912), Member of the YMCA choir
- Henry Price Hodges (v) (body #149- bH) (1862-1912), Music and pianoforte dealer

Third Class:

- Al-Amir Faris Shibab (v) (1886-1912), A gifted musician, was on his way to NY to pursue a career in that field
-
Eugene Patrick Daly (s) (1883-1965), Bagpipes
- Virginia Ethel Emanuel (s) (1905-1906), her mother, Elise Martin, was an actress and aspiring singer
- Anna Elisabeth Judith Dyker (s) (1889-1961), Was training to become a singer and give music lessons
- Honor (Nora) Flemmnig, (v) (1890 - 1912), Talented singer, was entertaining Irish songs when the first word of trouble came
- Marian Meanwell (v) (1849-1912), Unique child of a music professor
- Alfonzo Meo-Martinez (v) (#201 - bH ) (1864-1912), Violin maker
- William Henry Nancarrow (v) (1876-1912), Was renowned in his localities for his singing abilities
- Alma Cornelia Palsson (v) (body #206) ( - 1912), Mouth organ in her pocket
- Edward Ryan (s) ( 1888-1974), Singer,
and others, Singers, dancers, accordeons and piccolos among others instruments
- Henry Sutehall (v) (1886-1912), Violin
- Sages Family, (v) Piano
Annie Elizabeth Sage (v) (1867-1912) married to John George Sage (v) (1867-1912), and their nine children:
Stella Anna (v) ( 1891-1912), George John (v)(1892-1912), Douglas Bullen (v) (1893-1912), Frederick (v)( 1895-1912), Dorothy Florence (v) ( 1897-1912), Anthony William (v) (#67-bS)(1899-1912), Elizabeth Ada (v)(1901-1912), Constance Gladys (v)(1904-1912) and Thomas Henry (v)(1907-1912).

Relatives
- Kate Connolly, (v) (1870-1912), her elder sister, Maggie, was a music teacher
- Elin Matilda Hakkarainen, (s) (1888-1957), her future son worked as music teacher

In cold water
- # body-67, bS, Anthony William Sage, 3d class, Family piano
- # body-73, bS, Boylett Herbert Jupe, Crew, Ukulele
- # body-149, bH, Henry Price Hodges, 2d class, Music and pianoforte dealer
- # body-193, bH, John Law Hume, 2d class, First violonist
- # body-201, bH, Alfonzo Meo-Martinez, 3d class, Violin maker
- # body-202, bH, John Frederik Preston Clarke, 2d class, Contrabassist
- # body-206, bH, Alma Cornelia Palsson, 3d class, Mouth organ in her pocket
- # body-224, bE, Wallace Henry Hartley, 2d class, Bandleader and violist
- # body-287, bH, Robert Douglas Norman , 2d class, Piano

Last edited:
Back