In search of music aboard - All classes

To continue with music and particularly that sunday night,
in Third class was a party.
Maybe linked with Honor (Nora) Flemmnig, (v) (1890 - 1912), Talented singer, was entertaining Irish songs when the first word of trouble came

I've found today linked with my day virtual ticket,
in Anna Mcgowan biography:

Interviewed in 1984 Annie recalled that on the night of Sunday 14 April she and her aunt were attending a party in third class; the number of drunks made her aunt Catherine uncomfortable and she attempted to bring her away from the proceedings.

Annie could not recollect any crash or even the slightest of bumps but what she did recall was the sudden appearance of crew members rushing around and she related that one crewman told her that the ship had no chance of survival.

And from the Cameron movie (at least the photo) a little music party:

The photo is interesting with several violins and for re-enactment maybe.

Last edited:
In Olga Elida Lundin biography,
to continue with that party
Miss Lundin recalled that on Sunday 14 April she and her shipboard acquaintances had enjoyed much jollification and dancing in third-class that evening and it was late when she went to bed.
And with music, somethings interesting too when in lifeboat:
After the lifeboat was lowered Olga recalled witnessing groups of people gathering at the stern of the Titanic, some calmly waiting whilst others were wildly gesticulating. She recalled hearing no music being played by the orchestra, the din of everything else unfolding making this impossible.
After the ship had foundered Miss Lundin recalled seeing wreckage and bodies, some having to be manually pushed away so as not to hinder the path of the lifeboat. Many in the lifeboat were weeping whilst one man attempted to cheer the atmosphere by beginning to sing, only breaking down into sobs shortly after. Whilst Olga was sure the man was good-intentioned, she found the notion of singing at such a time to be disrespectful.

Last edited:
These last days, it appears by facebook pages this link below.
The first and only one which did'nt sunk, the realised dream with Olympic
and there it 's talking of preservation of its piano:
(Correct me if the link needs it)

Last edited:
Linked to the day ticket I add,
the young Rossmore Edward Abbott.
In his mother biography,
her injuries were so severe that she did not stir from her cot on the Carpathia until New York and then spent at least two more weeks hospitalized. She was looked after from there by her church (Grace Episcopal Church) in Providence, Rhode Island where her son Rossmore had once been in the boy's choir. It is thought that the Abbott's 3rd class passage back to the U.S. had been arranged by members of Grace Church.
As the Titanic took her final plunge Mrs Abbott and her two sons jumped from the deck, she managed to get into Collapsible A but the two boys were lost. The boat had been swamped as it was launched and its occupants balanced precariously in knee-deep water boat until they were eventually picked up by Collapsible D.

So the new lines to add in the list
in third class:

-Rossmore Edward Abbott (v) (body #190-bS) (1896-1912), boy's choir at Grace Episcopal Church in Providence, Rhode Island.

And in cold water:

-# body-190, bS, Rossmore Edward Abbott, 3d class, boy's choir in church
not so far from
- # body-193, bH, John Law Hume, 2d class, First violonist

In the day ticket,
in the biography of the survivor Miss Hilda Maria Hellström

• "I was a 3rd Class passenger aboard the Titanic, and we were cramped for space in the lower berth... I was always curious about just what the rest of the ship was like, I was drawn to the sound of orchestral music coming from above, I made my way, up through the second class level, past men in a room, smoking and playing cards..I found my way up to the main ballroom to find myself in the presence of wonderful music playing, and I remained there, unseen by anyone".
    Account related to Ellen Larson Centko

In Carla Christine Nielsine Andersen (Jensen) biography

Just an information but an important one:
I shared the cabin with three young girls, two English and a Swede and we had turned in early because the passengers in 3rd class had instructions to be below deck before 22 hours. We felt a bump a half hour later, but after the first shock, we went back to sleep again. We had confidence in Titanic, the other 3 girls would never wake again!

Last edited:
From 25min 40 of this video below,
and precisely at 26min 40
( Waking the Titanic- The Tragic Story of the Irish Emigrants )
we learn about the party and that it was Nora Fleming birthday!....

Back