Hello Amanda - Below is my print out on Mr. Milling - I hope that it helps?
Best regards - Brian

Milling, Mr. Jacob Christian. Missing. Of Odense, Denmark.
Born 25th October 1863. Locomotive Engineer for Sydfynske Jerbaner Company.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number P P75. Danish. Milling. Widow and 2 Children £150.
Sent Marconigram from Titanic 6.22pm April 14th, 1912, to: Milling, Odense, Denmark. Abanapas. Jacob.
Mr. Jacob Christian Milling. Engineer, had lived in Wisconsin between the years 1887-1897 but returned to his native Denmark where he was involved in building railway engines and was employed by Sydfynske Jernbaner Company as one of their most experienced railway engineers. He was going to New York on firm's business.
Jacob Christian Milling:
Born October 25th 1863, living in Odense, Fyn, Denmark.
He was employed by Sydfynske Jernbaner (Southern Fyn Railway). He had learned the railway business in the United States, and was going back to the States to make further studies.
He left Odense on April 5th, 1912 and was thrilled to be on the Titanic. On the 14th April he sent a Marconigram with the following coded message: ABANAPAS meaning ''Fine, quiet weather, fine ship, having fun, good company, pleasant voyage''.
Among the friends Milling made on board was Miss Edwina Trout, who he told of his Marconigram, adding a remark about how wonderful it was to think his wife would soon hear from him, even though he was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Milling's message reached his wife Augusta, on April 15th at 8am Danish time, which would be about 2.30am Titanic time . . .
Jocob Milling's body was recovered (body number 271) and sent from Halifax to Boston where it was cremated. The ashes were sent by the Danish steamer C. F. Tietgen to Copenhagen. They were interred at the family grave site, Assistens Kirkegard, Kapelvej 2, 2200 Copenhagen, section G number 277.
Body recovered number 271. Male. Estimated age, 55. Dark beard, light hair, partly bald. Clothing:- Dark tweed suit; leather vest. Effects:- Gold watch and chain; silver name plate; two pocket knifes; comb; one cuff link; gold ring marked "AP 2998''; two pairs glasses; purse; toothpick; key; £26; 100 kronors; photos; railroad passes. Name: F. C. Milling.
Body shipped to Boston for cremation. Ashes to be ultimately sent to Clausen Copenhagen. Must have changed instructions as next note is: Body sent to Copenhagen per ''C. F.
Tietgen'' 16th May, 1912. c/o H. Clausen, Copenhagen.
(Article sent by Arne Mjaland- author unknown - January 2001)
Heading - Engineer at Odense - Svendborg railway line in Denmark, Jacob Christian Milling lost his life during the Titanic accident
In April 1912 Jacob Chr. Milling went with the Titanic to America to study American railways.
Milling was employed by the Sydfynske jernbaner (Southernfyn railway). The Odesnnse-Svendborg railway was part of the Sydfynske jernbaner. That railway was opened for traffic on 12th July 1876. It was 46,850 kilometres long. From 1898 and 1899 the trains ran more frequently than before. Therefore it was necessary to buy new locomotives. Engineer assistant Milling at the engine department in the railway company had been in America during the years 1887-1897. He had been in the engine department in the railway company in California. He then contacted, through trader C. S. Christensen in Christiania (Oslo) Norway with Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia. The first American locomotive arrived in Denmark in 1899. In 1899 they ordered another two locomotives from Baldwins. They were cheap to buy, but they were expensive to run, as they used much coal. The machinery was not of good quality.
Milling had designed locomotives which were used on the Odense - Norre - Broby - Faborg railway line, which was opened in 1906. These four locomotives were built by Henschel & Son in Kasse, Germany. In 1909 - 1910 Milling constructed a locomotive for the Odense - Svendborg railway. The maximum speed was going to be 45 kilometres an hour, but it was quite possible to run at 70 - 80 kph. Nobody objected when the locomotives ran at that speed. In February 1912 the railway company started to use a Malletlocomotive which Milling had got permission to build. He rebuilt two of the railways oldest locomotives which had run more than one million kilometres. It was put on two high pressure cylinders on the back part of the machinery, and two low pressure cylinders on the machinery in front. At that time it was the largest locomotive ever built in Denmark, one of most advanced pieces of machinery construction which had ever been made in that country. The locomotive used more coal than estimated. Also other problems appeared due to the special construction of the locomotive. By this time Milling has perished on the Titanic, so it was impossible to get any help from him. The locomotive was used up to 1914, and destroyed in 1918. The total distance it made was 89,000 kilometres. Those who worked at the railway describe it as 'swift and strong'.
On the Titanic many travellers became acquainted with people they had never met before. In this way people who travelled on their own could enjoy the company of others.
Titanic passenger Edwina Trout was the only one who could tell anything about Mr. Millings voyage. Edwina had become friendly with Mr. Milling despite the fact that Mr. Milling was married. Here is a part of the letter she sent to Mr. Millings wife in Denmark on 5th July, 1912.
''I got your letter today. Mr. Milling ate at the table where I sat. Your husband told me in Queenstown that he felt it was like we had known each other for years. He was quite occupied with the Titanic. He thought it was such a beautiful steady ship. He told me about trips that he had had with you to Scotland and other places. During the whole Saturday he was occupied by sending telegrams. He told me that he had to wait until the boat was in communication with Cape Race. During dinnertime on the Sunday he told me: 'Today I managed to send a telegram to my wife'.
On Sunday it was bitterly cold. The day was used to pray and read. Mr. Milling and Mr. Andrews and I sat in the Library and talked about different things. We went to bed one hour before the Titanic hit the iceberg. When that happened I woke up. I went up to see what was wrong. One officer told me that it was only an iceberg, and that I had to go back to my cabin. Otherwise I might catch a cold. Mr. Milling comforted me when the situation became more serious. He said that we were in communication with many ships, and that all of us would be saved. I left Mr. Milling while he was talking to some men. I went up to the boat deck. I noticed that they were lowering a lifeboat. I went back to my friends and told them that they should dress in case they were called up 'What is wrong?' said Mr. Milling. I said 'It will be a sad departure for all of us' I have regretted so many times that I did not ask Mr. Milling whether he had any letter he wanted me to send for him. Your husband wrote letters every morning. He was in love with you, and showed me pictures of the two children. All the passengers thought that Mr. Milling was my father. I cannot describe my sympathy for your great loss'.

Henrik Milling, Skovsbovenget, Odense, Denmark has for several years written a family tree about the Millings in Denmark. This work started off one day in 1947 when he had discussed with his father about where in Denmark the Millings came from. Among other things he has found out that Jacob Chr. Millings ancestors were sailors and merchants in Faborg, Denmark between 1600 and 1700. After 52 years Henrik Milling feels that he has still a lot more to find out about the Milling family.

I wrote to Henrik Milling about seven years ago. He then informed me about his extensive family research. I wrote to him again last yeaar. I got the letter in return. I fear he may not be alive.

Thanks for all your help so far. I'm an intern at a local museum and I'm doing some research on Wisconsin ties to the Titanic for a project here and I'm glad you've all helped out so far!

Arne...did you have that address for Henrik or know where I could find it so maybe I could try and track down another lead?

In researching 2nd class passenger Jacob Milling, I've found an old newspaper article where his daughter says that he dined with Edgar Andrews, Edwina Troutt, Mr. Beauchamp and Mr. and Mrs. Holt.
I already knew about Andrews and Troutt. There's very little about Beauchamp here on ET and I can't find the Holts - can anyone offer more information on these three last passengers? The daughter has the information from a postcard Jacob sent from Queenstown.

Back