James Scanlan

Hi, I am researching James Scanlan, who died in the sinking. He was on his way to meet a Kate Scanlan in New York when the ship docked.
I am trying to findout what relation she was to him, what his parent's names were, sibling's names, what cabin he was in, and if he was traveling with anyone.
If you have any information on him please e-mail me.
Thanks Hiliary J. Geer

Hiliary, the book you need is Senan Molony's 'The Irish Aboard Titanic'. James Scanlon's father was called John and his mother's name was Catherine. Kate was James' sister, two years younger than him. She had emigrated to America and encouraged James to join her. There's a bit more to the story than that, and I highly recommend this superb title. You should be able to find information on ordering in ET's 'recommended titles'.

~ Inger

Help Wanted Please, I am trying to trace relatives/information/photos of James Scanlon. he was aged 22 from Rathkeale, Co,Limerick. James boareded the Titanic at Queenstown on 11 April 1912 ticket number 36209, sadly he died in the sinking, his body was not recovered. He was on his way to join Kate Scanlon, at The Plaza New York, if anyone can help with information no matter how small would be greatly appreciated, kind regards thank you Catherine.
my email is [email protected]

It appears there's not much more information readily available. In Craig Stringer's CD "Titanic People" it states that James was the son of John and Catherine Scanlan and brother to Kate, William, Patrick, Edward, and Cornelius. His parents made a claim against the White Star Line for $20,000 and they also received £30 from the British Titanic Relief Fund. I hope these details may give a few more leads for further enquiries.

Hello Tony,
What can I say but a thousand sincere thank you's.All the information you post was new to me, I was near to tears, as I read it ,as I am named after Catherine this is what my late Grandmother told me many years ago. Its really only this year when I have decided its time now to do the research.What made me start was a visit to Cobh in Ireland last year (first time) I went on the Titanic Trail and was hooked, for years I have had a fascination about New York Harbour, the Titanic and Irish family roots. It was by chance that we chose Cobh for our short break, yet it has been the road to lead to many other journeys.
Again many, many thanks, and if by chance you find any other details please post them for me on site. Kind regards Catherine

1901 Census of Ireland -

Rathkeale, Co Limerick:
SCANLAN
Parents - John (30), labourer. Kate (40).
Children: James (10), William (13), Kate (8), Patrick (1).

1911 Census -
ibid

John (45), labourer. Catherine (45).
Married 20 years, ten children, six alive.
William (24), labourer, James (20), labourer, Patrick (11), Edward (9), Cornelius (7).

James Scanlan was my great uncle on my fathers side. My fathers family were immigrants from Ireland to Astoria, Queens in New York and James was traveling on the Titanic to join his sister, Katherine Scanlon (spelled differently once in America), my great grandmother who had come from Ireland earlier in 1910. My fathers family (Harms) later moved from Astoria, New York to Santa Ana, CA but many of the Scanlons stayed on the East Coast. I was always told that my great uncle died on Titanic.

hello! would like to start by thanking you for helping to find information about my distant relatives, it’s been such an interesting journey to find out that a distant relative has been on the titanic !

my name is Julian Scanlan and i am a musician from Mount Laurel NJ

my heritage is irish, italian on my moms (scanlan) side.

our family stays in New jersey currently, but being only an hour from new york, i’ve always wondered about a possible distant relative.

will keep checking on the page to see if there are anymore updates; as well as asking my own family for information!

thank you,

Julian Scanlan

Back