John Thomas Poingdestre

I am seeking information about John Thomas Poingdestre, ex Titanic, Olympic, Oceana, Teutonic etc. I am related to the Bromley Kent branch of the Poingdestre family. I am looking for information about him, his seafaring career and his family.
All information will be very greatfully received

Michael

Michael - this might help:

(From Guernsey Evening Press, April/May 1912)
Jersey Address: 28 Old St. Johns Road, Jersey.

In 1996 his family were still in business in Southampton - Baitdiggers and Fishing Tackle Dealers.
Jack Poingdestre, whose parents lived at 28, Old St. John's Road, also had his home in Southampton. A month earlier he had been on the crew of the Oceana when it sank of Newhaven. That had been on March 16th. He at least was used to shipwrecks.
Able seaman Jack Poingdestre was one of those who helped to clear the boats. He remembers seeing one boat with a 65-passenger capacity being lowered with less than 40 on board. While he was there, the bulkhead between the forecastle and the third class cabins broke and he had to wade through water waist deep.
The two other survivors from Jersey were both seamen. Jack Poingdestre returned to his wife and family in Southampton two and a half weeks after the disaster.

Cheers Brian

Michael,I live in Fremantle Western Australia,& one of my great friends is Barry Poingdestre,who swims regularly opposite my house on the Swan River.As I do a lot of travelling he often looks after my home & garden & collects the mail.He is 70 years of age & is from the Channel Islands.His father,s brother was on the Titanic so he would be related to you.Can you beleive that my Grandfathers brother was lookout Reginald Robinson Lee.[See RRLee,s info for photo,s & info I have sent in.]I have had a photo taken of the 2 of us together at the Swan River & will post it when it is developed.Regards Gordon Lee

John Thomas was another of these "mysterious" crew members who there is little knowledge about.
Dec- 30 1998 I had a letter from Mrs Coxon, England. She is a granddoughter of John Thomas.
She wrote: "My father (Son of John Thomas) is the only living son left.He is 87 years old living in Edinburh with my mum (78)
John Thomas and wife Florence had 6 sons, first born James Poingdestre died 2 years old of manangitis. Wilfred John, Percy James Philip (my father) Philip anda Cast. Raymond. all born Southampton except the first one. My father told me that he and his brothers were put into homes. My father remembered his father visiting twice. We heard that he had "Lost it" after the Titanic.
My distant cousin im America faxed me some information about the Poingdestre family tree.
Another cousin Pat in Manchester told me that he went to Nova Scotia 25 - 30 years ago, and heard a story that he collapsed in a street in Manchester."
I telephoned Percy James Philip Poingdestre in Edinburg in May 1998. I had a short conversation with him. He could not add anything to the story. I also had a longer talk with his wife.
Anybody have done any research about Poingdestre?
Is it right that he died in Manchester?

Hallo Arne - I believe Senan Molony has done a bit of work on Poingdestre/Poindexter (he favours the latter spelling). Interesting notes on your correspondence with his descendants!

Does anyone have a brief tree about JOHN THOMAS POINGDESTRE and his family that they would be willing to share. Any information will be very welcome.
Michael

The Poindexter Descendants Association has a page on John Thomas Poingdestre which has, as references, one link that leads to an empty page https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography.php/poigndestre_john_thomas_1369.html and another link leading to a page https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/bio.php/1369.html with a picture of him but an error message "Sorry that item cannot be found." The PDA page is at http://www.poindexterfamily.org/history/stories/titanic.html

The Poindexters originated in the Isle of Jersey but my branch has been in America since 1657 so any relationship to him is very distant indeed.

Back