Just how much Titanic wreckwood is out there in private hands

I have always wondered how much wreckwood was plucked from the sea after Titanic sank...
The Minia and Mackay Bennet recovered bodies- as well as pieces of aft grand staircase decorative trim, cabin paneling, etc......Much of that wood was fashioned into picture frames, cribbage boards, chess sets, etc..
Do we know how much wood the Titanic wreckwood the Canadian ships recovered- and in fact which- ships recovered wood? I wonder if any recovered Titanic wood was lost in the halifax explosion of 1917.
Could passing fishing vessels have recovered anything, or did anything washed ashore?
The jewel of my collection is a cut section of woodwork from the aft grand staircase-How many other grand staircase pieces are ou there?
The recovered Titanic wreckwood at the Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax is breathtaking- particularly the large panel that was once from tjhe 1st class lounge. i wonder if there are any pieces out there in private hands of that size....The lounge panel is special, because we know **exactly** where it was located on Titanic.
That particular wood panel is so famous among Titanic buffs, it was recreated in the Cameron titanic film, as the panel Rose rested on after Titanic sank.
I have a hunch there is quite a bit if Titanic wood in still in Halifax, and the current owners have no idea thier wood pieces were from Titanic.....
I still cringe at the memory of Dec 1999- I was working at the Titanic exhibit in Toronto, but went home to Boston for a few days for christmas, and in my absense, a couple from Halifax visited the titanic exhibit in toronto . They had a station wagon full of wood pieces, claiming they were plucked from the sea by the ships sent out to recover the bodies of Titanic victims. I think some putz from the giftshop gave the wood a once over and said the wood was 'worthless' becuse the peices were broken. Other witnesses said the couple were friendly and seemed honest, the wood was ornate, and some pieces filled the whole back of the station wagon. Did the shop worker get thier phone number? Of course..but oh, he lost it....
I could have torn that moron in half like a phonebook.....Mabey those people stuck that wood back in thier closet, who knows.......
But the point is, im sure there is more titanic wreckwood out there...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

There Probably is more out there, but there is probably just as much wood out there that people will claim was from Titanic when in reality it is not, and thats the problem...

Titanic wood is only as good as the provenance. As an example there is still wood from the Olympic that is readily available and is exact in many ways to that of Titanic. Like many, I have a nice piece of the Olympic grand staircase but it cannot compare in value and rarity to even a splinter I have from Titanic.

Because of that I would be cautious of wood (or any Titanic relic for that matter) that didn't come from a reliable source.

Kevin

Hi Tarn,

quote:

I think some putz from the giftshop gave the wood a once over and said the wood was 'worthless' becuse the peices were broken.

Nope, he wasn't from the giftshop. He was dealing with the audio cassette's at the time, so he had better things to do than to deal with some supposed Titanic wood.
wink.gif

Hi Jason
the memory fades with the passage of time- I could have strangled that guy- his "who gives a horse puckey' attitude infuriated me.
you're right..Well, if that wood was the genuine thing, I wonder what became of it?
Thats why I wish you had wored the Toronto exhibit full time...

Thanks, Tarn. If the couple actually believed him, then they probably just threw it away. But, if they were smart they would have taken the time to search for someone specialized in that field, who knew what they were talking about.

My guess is the former.

Back