Launch of OlympicClass Liners

Haven't built any ships, but lots of boats. My sense is that builders don't feel "ownership" in the way of possessing something. Theirs is more of a parental ownership of offspring. The owner may have title, but I remember when his boat was only an empty space in the building shed. He may enjoy the cabinetry, but I remember the finished wood as timber and the varnish as a amber liquid. In short, the boat is "mine" in a way the owner can never appreciate. But, like a parent, I've let go so that this creation can do its intended purpose.

Several years ago I was doing a magazine article about the then-new Mississippi Queen steamboat. We pulled into Evansville, Indiana where the captain allowed a short public tour. One father came aboard with his son of perhaps 10 years. "We came to see daddy's boat," the boy announced to one and all. They went straight for the grand staircase where the father pointed at the fine decoration. "I painted that," he said, "and I wanted to show it to my son."

-- David G. Brown

I see exactly where you are coming from Jim as our American cousins say. Perhaps that was and still is the fundamental difference between the Scots and Northern Irish. To us British comes second and you'll know full well what I mean!

I too remember well all these marvelous days. Sorry I forgot to mention the Clyde H&W Yard.
I had the pleasure for many years of being the New-building Underwriters Surveyor at the old JB Yard which became Marathon and after that UIE. At the end, they were building Le Tourneau Jack-ups and modules for Production Platforms.
Unfortunately it's all gone - even the east yard where the Queens were built. Sad times!

Another Jim.

Harland & Wolff also had a shipyard in London, which was mainly a repair facility, although it also built various types of small craft. They constructed several types of narrow boat for use on the English canal system - the "Star" class and "Town" class boats being two types which come readily to mind. It seems strange to think that these 70 ft inland craft were, in effect, "cousins" of the Titanic.

Jim,

Yes I know what you mean, we always say it was a Belfast ship, never an Irish ship, maybe an Northern Irish ship, but 99.999999% a Belfast ship.

I too have seen where the the Lusitania was built and to be honest it is a disgrace. That's why there is such a big discussion going on in Belfast about getting the Titanic memorial started.

Did you know that John Brown's had quite a big share in H&W and H&W had quite a big share in John Browns.

Titanic was a british through and through - in my opinion anyone who thinks otherwise must think the world is flat also.

in my opinion anyone who thinks otherwise must think the world is flat also.

Jon, please keep opinions like this to yourself. While you're free to express your own opinions and comment on those of others in an appropriate fashion, this sort of personal criticism is not appropriate.

Back