Lifeboat Launch Order

I'll take their word for it as they have put in the time and researched it. Plus the fact they know way more about it than me. Mr. Wormstedt and Behe both are people who I have enjoyed reading their stuff on Titanic. Mr. Fitch, not familiar with him so can't say. But when I first looked at that revised list and others before that...the exact 5 minutes between boats seem a little too neat and clean for me. Just a minor observation that stands out to me.

Mr. Fitch, not familiar with him so can't say.
Tad Fitch and his colleagues Kent Leyton & Bill Wormstedt co-authored the best book so far on the disaster itself. It is called On A Sea of Glass and is a must buy book. Very well researched and written; a deliberate slow read to take in all the details, meant for a genuine Titanic enthusiast and not a shallow and 'novelized' commercially orientated work like Titanic: An Illustrated History. Ken Marschall's excellent paintings were the only really good thing about that latter book.

Fitch et al have also worked with Behe and Sam Halpern, I believe. They contributed to the best analysis of the disaster, Sam Halpern's A Report into the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Appraisal.

But when I first looked at that revised list and others before that...the exact 5 minutes between boats seem a little too neat and clean for me. Just a minor observation that stands out to me.
I know what you mean, but that's just for convenience and orientation. Most of us human beings live by the clock and if you think about it, are too "five minute orientated". If I asked 10 different people to meet me at exactly 11:45 am, not one of them would think there was anything odd about it. But if I had said 11:42 am instead, just about all of them would have raised their eyebrows at the very least.

I believe that there is a 2 minute window on either side of the given times in that table. Thus, Lifeboat #10, which the table says was launched at 01:50 am, was lowered between 01:48 and 01:52 am IMO. Also, one can ask, what exactly is 'launching time"? The time they started to lower the lifeboat or the time it reached the water?

Last edited:
Is there a time table how long it took to fill each boat up before launching? And much the same how long did it take them from the side of the Carpathia ship until on board for each boat?

Is there a time table how long it took to fill each boat up before launching?
I am sure there must be information somewhere about how long it took to fill Titanic type lifeboats during boat drills. But on the actual night of the sinking, would have thought it would be rather difficult quantify. There was a good deal of hesitation among passengers to board early lifeboats like #7, #5 and #8 so much so that even Murdoch was forced to lower a few only partially filled - and that after allowing willing men to board and making up numbers with crew. But after about 01:00 am the seriousness of the situation started to dawn on everyone and so loading would have been more rapid.

Other issues would have affected loading time. The increasing port list would have caused difficulties and delays in loading some port boats which would start swinging away from the side of the ship creating a gap. On the starboard side, the port list probably did not cause delays with loading the lifeboats per se but lowering them afterwards would have done. The later starboard boats would 'hug' the side of the sinking ship due to the port list and there was the risk of damage to the side and bottom of the lifeboat during lowering.

The times in the list were to the nearest 5 minutes that could be estimated. The error could easily be as much plus or minus 5 minutes for any of the boats. Nobody was looking at a watch at the exact moment a boat was launched. By the way, launch means the time that they started to pay out the falls in lowering the boat, or the time a boat floated off in the cases of boats A and B. Lowering times could be as much as 5 or 6 minutes in some cases, depending on the length of the drop.
By the way, the entire revised article can be accessed here: Lifeboat Launching Sequence Re-Examined.

I know what you mean, but that's just for convenience and orientation. Most of us human beings live by the clock and if you think about it, are too "five minute orientated". If I asked 10 different people to meet me at exactly 11:45 am, not one of them would think there was anything odd about it. But if I had said 11:42 am instead, just about all of them would have raised their eyebrows at the very least.

I believe that there is a 2 minute window on either side of the given times in that table. Thus, Lifeboat #10, which the table says was launched at 01:50 am, was lowered between 01:48 and 01:52 am IMO. Also, one can ask, what exactly is 'launching time"? The time they started to lower the lifeboat or the time it reached the water?
Ok, what you and Mr. Halpern wrote does make sense about why times might be listed as they were. Kind of like the one Mt. Everest survey only the opposite but done for a reason. Survey showed exactly 29,000ft high but they thought people might think they rounded off so they added 2 feet to it. Or so the story goes.

When I was a kid back in 1963, books, journals etc listed Mt Everest as being 29,028 feet above the sea level.
Yes you are right about that. But since the mid 1800's there have been many surveys of Everest and they had all came away with different values. Most were very close to each other..20 feet or so. A few were way off because of the instruments at the time. The latest one done last year that I know of came in at 29,032'. With snow and ice it probably changes a few feet every year. But with all the people that have been up there now they might have a GPS receiver there now. Not sure about that. A lot like Titanic and other subjects. 2 different people looking at it and you'll get 2 different conclusions.

Lowering times could be as much as 5 or 6 minutes in some cases, depending on the length of the drop.
That's right. That would mean that several variables plated their part.
  • Trim: As the sinking progressed, forward lifeboats had progressively reducing drop distances while for the aft boats it progressively increased.
  • Time: Forward lifeboats lowered earlier eg #5, #3, #6 had longer drops than those lowered later like #2, #4 and Collapsibles C & D. With the aft boats it was the opposite, with drop distances increasing as the stern rose. Also, with time the port list got worse, affecting lowering time.
  • List: I imagine with increasing port list loading of port side lifeboats would have been more difficult. But am I right in thinking that once they were loaded, lowering per se on the port side would not be too bad? On the starboard side on the other hand, I thought lowering would be more hazardous with the bottom and side of the lifeboat scraping against the side of the ship and its rivet heads.

OK we heard how long it has taken them to load up the lifeboats and launch from about 12.30 to 2.20am. One hour and forty minutes. O though A & B boats did float of the ship. However when on board the Carpathia ship that took over four hours. So why soo long?

However when on board the Carpathia ship that took over four hours. So why soo long?
There might have been several reasons. Onboard the Titanic the lifeboats were fastened in place, ready for use as necessary. But when the Carpathia arrived, the boats were on the ocean surface, loaded with people and somewhat scattered. Then I am not sure if they had to improvise a bit with gear used to haul lifeboats out of the water on board the Carpathia. Most importantly, I would have thought the process of attaching falls to boats already on the sea and hauling them up was a more precarious process.

Also, there were over 700 survivors and every boatload coming up had to be dealt with and the deck space cleared before the next boat could be pulled up.

The times in the list were to the nearest 5 minutes that could be estimated. The error could easily be as much plus or minus 5 minutes for any of the boats. Nobody was looking at a watch at the exact moment a boat was launched. By the way, launch means the time that they started to pay out the falls in lowering the boat, or the time a boat floated off in the cases of boats A and B. Lowering times could be as much as 5 or 6 minutes in some cases, depending on the length of the drop.
By the way, the entire revised article can be accessed here: Lifeboat Launching Sequence Re-Examined.
The Table shows 18 boats being loaded and launched within a period of 90 minutes - one every 5 minutess - a remarkable acheivement given the numbers and conditions.

However, there seems to be a problem with these times, Sam.

If you agree that QM Rowe had partially retarded time on his watch , and I know you think he did, then lifeboat 7 was launched a little before 03-47 GMT. The table shows 3-38 GMT.
Then Rowe fired the last signal 40 minutes later at 4-27 GMT by the same watch. However, the table shows it being fired at 4-48 GMT - a difference of 23 minutes.
There should not have been a difference between the GMT of events, no matter what the individual had on a watch.
For example: Annie Robinson had the time of sinking on her fully retarded watch watch as 1-40 am. = 5-25 GMT On an unaltered watch it would have been 2-27 am = 5-25 GMT and on Rowe's watch it would have been 2-03 am = 5-25 GMT. 3rd Officer Pitman gave a time of 5-18 GMT on his watch but we are talking about a percieved event from different positions.
What do you think?

However, there seems to be a problem with these times, Sam.
Actually, there isn't any problem. For those following, the conversion from Titanic time, which was used in the article throughout, to GMT is to add 2 hours and 58 minutes. I'll respond to some of you issues Jim when I get the chance, but I have more pressing things to do today which finally looks and feels like Spring instead of Winter at 41° 57'N, 87° 41'W.

Actually, there isn't any problem. For those following, the conversion from Titanic time, which was used in the article throughout, to GMT is to add 2 hours and 58 minutes. I'll respond to some of you issues Jim when I get the chance, but I have more pressing things to do today which finally looks and feels like Spring instead of Winter at 41° 57'N, 87° 41'W.
Off topic comment be me:...I hear you. I'm so ready for Winter to be over. The cold sucks. One of the reasons why I sympathize with the people on Titanic. But back to the subject matter. After looking at the times I can see why they are listed as they are. There's no way one could be exact about it and a minute here or there doesn't change the story at all IMO. It's not like today with people taking selfies where you can extract the metadata and get the time down to the second.

Back