Lights and Californian

I know she drifted to a stop however she was not drifting so much it was noticeable to passengers in the final moments as far as I know but if you could find someone mentioning it I would love to see it I hope I am wrong because this would be really fascinating to know more about
-James T. Shorter

I know she drifted to a stop however she was not drifting so much it was noticeable to passengers in the final moments as far as I know but if you could find someone mentioning it I would love to see it I hope I am wrong because this would be really fascinating to know more about
As ODDS posted, ships drift with the wind and current. They are never stationary; ships are not akin to motor vehicles. We know the Californian drifted as well, so your comment is moot.

So what we have right now is that yes both the Titanic and Californian were drifting and due to this the Californians position may have changed in such a way that Titanic could not see her lights but she was still there.
I have heard stories that it wasn't the Californian but a ship illegally hunting seals is this even remotely possible? Is there any evidence to support these claims?

-James T. Shorter

I have heard stories that it wasn't the Californian but a ship illegally hunting seals is this even remotely possible? Is there any evidence to support these claims?
The short answer is No. That was the Samson but according to the port records, she was in Iceland. Read this thread for more information:
Samson

The ship that the Californian saw was the Titanic and vice versa. No mystery ship. As well, read Sam Halpern's Strangers on the Horizon which he has already recommended to you.

The short answer is No. That was the Samson but according to the port records she was in Iceland. Read this thread for more information:
Samson

The ship that the Californian saw was the Titanic and vice versa. No mystery ship. As well, read Sam Halpern's Strangers on the Horizon which he has already recommended to you.
I am trying to get a copy thank you so much
James T. Shorter

The short answer is No. That was the Samson but according to the port records, she was in Iceland. Read this thread for more information:
Samson

Bit off topic but do you know where the best place to get hard copy's of Titanic books would be?

I'm not sure of the Rules of the Road in 1912, but as Titanic was stopped in the water, her navigation lights should have been switched off, and replaced by Not Under Command (NUC) lights on the foremast.
Per the diagram these are two all-round red lights, one above the other.
1683440787234.png

Absolutely. Also, Sam has illustrated relative positions of both ships, including possible drift pattern, which would not have been the same. Due to that and the Titanic's continued listing and sinking, would there not be a persistently changing pattern to the way the lights of one ship appeared to an observer on the other?

Absolutely. Also, Sam has illustrated relative positions of both ships, including possible drift pattern, which would not have been the same. Due to that and the Titanic's continued listing and sinking, would there not be a persistently changing pattern to the way the lights of one ship appeared to an observer on the other?
Yes this is why I am asking because the view would be constantly changing

How does this compare to The Ship that Stood Still, by Leslie Read?
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.jpg
Tad Fitch
5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly detailed study of the Titanic/Californian affair.
Reviewed in the United States on January 30, 2020
Verified Purchase
Anyone who is familiar with Sam Halpern's previous work, knows how detailed his research is, and how he takes great care to remain objective. Such is the case with this book. What is unique is that unlike previous works on this very controversial subject, which have all been agenda driven and selective in their use of facts (with one or two exceptions), Halpern doesn't rely on a subjective interpretation of eyewitness statements, many of which are contradictory. Yes, the witness accounts are examined, but then, areas where facts can be confirmed (using multiple lines of evidence) are subjected to scientific and navigational analysis, and only then are any conclusions drawn. Defenders of Captain Lord who feel he did nothing wrong, as well as those who feel he could have rescued everyone from Titanic, will both find something to be unhappy about in this book. This proves the author had the correct approach, and that the book wasn't written to prove a point, the facts be damned. This is essential reading for anyone interested in the topic. A word of warning, it is a hefty read and will take a lot of patience and focus to get through, if read cover-to-cover. At 17 chapters in length, plus appendices, it is one that researchers will come back to again and again, but is not a leisurely read or coffee table book. The chapter summaries recap important facts and conclusions for the lay reader. Highly recommended.
8 people found this helpful

Back