Lights during the launching and such

Because during the 'average' crossing passengers would most likely not be on deck during the peak of the night, would there have been less lights on during the collision as opposed to when passengers were ordered up on deck? Were there any additional lights they could turn on whilst the launching was taking place. Additionally, does anybody have a link to an accurate picture of what the lighting was like that night? I'd appreciate it.

The only photo I've seen of the Titanic lit up at night was a grainy and heavily retouched snap taken when the ship was anchored off Cherbourg.

As I understand it, the lights tended to be put out in a lot of the public spaces by 11:30 to encourage passengers to go to bed. Even with that, I suspect that there would be some lights on along the promanades though not much. The lighting used then as a matter of routine tended to be dimmer then commonly used today. If you want to get an idea of just how dim, check out the Biltmore Mansion in Asheville North Carolina if you're ever out that way.

Back