Lucy Noël Martha Countess of Rothes

Their is a plaque in St Mary's Church, Fairford, Gloucestershire. Which she placed there in memory of both of her husbands. But I have not come across anything regarding her final resting place. I assume she can not be to far away from he husbands.

Anyone interested can read about the Countess's childhood home, Prinknash Park, at

This relates the history of the estate and how her father purchased it in 1888 and, after he converted to Catholicism in the 1920's, deeded it to the Benedictines.

Apparently he died before the legal footwork was completed and so his grandson, the Countess's son, inherited the house and could legally have kept it as his own. He did, however, honor his grandfather's wishes and handed it over to the Benedictines after all.

If the html I wrote doesn't work, anyone interested could easily type "Prinknash Park" into a search engine and read about it that way. The house is now open to the public.

Regards,
Brian Ahern

It's interesting enough reading, though it gives little or no Dyer Edwardes family history since the family didn't purchase the house until Noelle's lifetime.
Regards,
Brian

Noel, Countess of Rothes. On this website, you will also find a portrait of her husband, Norman Evelyn Leslie, 19th Earl of Rothes, and portraits of other Leslie family members (including her first son, Malcolm George Dyer-Edwardes Leslie, 20th Earl of Rothes, and grandson, Ian Lionel Malcolm Leslie, 21st Earl of Rothes).

p24d.jpg

While searching for some additional information about the Countess' family, I came upon this page,

, which seems to suggest the Earldom of Rothes is for sale. I had assumed this sort of thing isn't done much anymore, but if so, it's the perfect gift for that special Titanic-loving friend - assuming you have £150,000 or thereabouts.
happy.gif

Dear Robert,

Be assured that the Earldom of Rothes is NOT for sale. The website has mixed up the fact that some of the old Scottish feudal baronies can, under certain circumstances, be sold. Other than that, the website's claim to sell the Earldom of Rothes is false information.

Jeffrey, many thanks for clearing that up! I had wondered whether some hanky-panky was going on, but I am hardly an expert in such things so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would respond.

One wonders if the current holder of the title is aware of this.

Hi Robert!

No problem whatsoever. As far as the holder of the title goes, Ian Lionel Malcolm Leslie is the 21st Earl of Rothes, Lord Leslie, and Baron of Ballinbreich; he is the Chief of my Scottish clan, Leslie. I wrote him concerning the website; he was the one to inform me that the Earldom is not for sale. He also informed me that he is doing what he can to clear up the mess.

By the way, Ian is the grandson of Noël Lucy Martha Dyer-Edwardes, Countess of Rothes, and son of her eldest son, the late Malcolm George Dyer-Edwardes Leslie (d. 1975) and his wife, Beryl Violet Dugdale. Lord Ian's wife, Marigold Evans Bevan of Wales, is the current Countess of Rothes.

Thanks again Jeffrey! It sounds like Lord Ian may also owe you a thank-you. I try to follow British politics (so you can imagine my level of interest at the moment!) but other than reading the Wakeham commission report back in 1999 or 2000, I've never paid much attention to titles and such.

For anyone else interested in the subject, a bit more searching on Google on my part produced a short and witty piece on these fraudulent title sales by the Earl of Bradford on the Burkes Peerage site, http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/common/sitepages/ft01.asp, with a link to his own site on the topic, http://www.faketitles.com/.

Back