LUSITANIA Archeology

According to Dr. Ballard's LUSITANIA write-up in Nat. Geo. & subsequent book, after his exploration of the wreck, photos of the *hedgehog* were featured in both. And, as he had Ken Marschall & Eric Sauder as on-hand historians, I am certain they were correct in stating the bombs were *hedgehog*, therby dating them as a WWI weapon!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

POSTSCRIPT: Then again, perhaps I don't recall...perhaps it was a *hideout* for WWII
U-Boats, thus deploying *hedgehog*.

In a future post, I may stand corrected.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

CORRECTION: Before Marschall or E. Sauder step in, I will correct *myself*. I referred to the April 1994 Na't Geo. pg. 80, and yes the *hedgehog* mortar bombs were fired during WWII.

As I said..."I stand corrected".

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

As I said..."I stand corrected".
Don't we all at some time or other.

I remember watching Ballard's Geographic Expedition in Last Voyage Of The Lusitania. Horrible morgue photo's were shown. But I think it brought home to folks the enormity of what a horrible thing happened that May day. Those that weren't sent into shock or a crying jag. I felt hollow inside and out of sorts after seeing it myself.
sad.gif

George:
Before our friendship parted, I held private correspondence with Eric Sauder, perhaps, along with his brother Bill, the most knowledgeable LUSITANIA historians alive today. I recall Mr. Sauder sharing with me...the DELTA submersible was trapped on the wreck by a fishing net, the LUSITANIA is strewn with these, anyhow they had to eject the propellor cowling so as to regain ascent to the surface w/DELTA submarine. Subsequently, if I recall correctly, divers recovered the cowling. It resides as part of Mr. E. Sauder's LUSITANIA collection.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

>>Hedgehogs were WWII.<<

Yeah, but there wouldn't be anything especially unusual or even sinister about finding them around the wreck. It's been mentioned that the Royal Navy frequently used the wreck as a target during anti-submarine warfare exercises during the Second World War. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with a few other wrecks as well.

Since the ship is a notible historic wreck and since much of it has been bombed and collapsed by the natural force of the ocean, I would suggest a sane, efficient peeling away of the hul and recovery of anything recognizable for a traveling exhibit, such as "Titanic's". Cargo, furnishings, ship fittings, are all of key interest to the general public. I see no historic value nor respect for the dead, by letting it settle into a mass of iron oxide on the seabed. If there were people inside her when she sank, I guarantee you, they are no longer sitting around having a mid-afternoon tea. Tell their story; it's their ship.

Back