Lusitania model

Tom Lear

Turns out I started on a model of the Lusitania a while back. It's a long story why I never finished, but I intend to some day. Her, the Normandie, and the Yamato.

78210.jpg

Hey Jim -

Well - to try and make a long story short....

About two months ago I got sucked into a web page project that ate up all my spare time, and only now am I managing to extricate myself. Hopefully in another three weeks or so I can pick up where I left off.

I did a VR pano of the cargo deck as a sort of test, and am working with someone to try and import it into Flash and see if it works. If we can pull that off then I know I have a format to create a 3d VR tour of the ship.

I also got some new software yesterday that lets me create very realistic oceans, so I want to play around with it - float the Normandie and see how well I can make her sail, so to speak. Maybe come up with some kind of intro movie, kind of like a cruise ship commercial but hopefully not too commercial.

As for photos, I'm still looking for any detail shots of the top of the wheelhouse, and what sort of instruments were positioned up there.

Hi Tom,
if you ever want to actually 'sail' your model, download Virtual Sailor http://www.hangsim.com/vs
Great game! And it is designed to be flexible, in otherwords, the members model their own boats, and upload them to websites!
people can then download these boats and sail them!
I am currently re-modeling the RMS Titanic model, to form her younger sister, the HMHS Britannic.
if you need any help with exporting these files into a VS compatible format (.x), I am sure I can help you.
All the best, and keep up the great work!
Alec

Thanks for the heads-up. How does this game handle hi-polygon models? since I reckon there must be a good quarter-million or so already on the Normandie, and I'm only 3/4 finished, at best.

Hi Tom,
well, I have been supervising a boat modeler make the RMS Olympic... We reached the maximum ammout of polys that VS can cope with, thats about 40,000 polys.... in otherwords, ALOT!
If you were to make a VS friendly version, you would want nothing in the hull, and nothing in the superstructure except from a 100% modeled bridge, and maybe some rooms behind it...
e-mail me at [email protected] with some pictures and things, I am sure we can come to a conclusion.
Great work anyways! Keep it up!
Alec

Back