Margaret Marcella Daly

Kyrila,

an interesting observation about hats, from a private letter written by stewardess Violet Jessop after she had seen ANTR (the film):

"I begged Miss Coffin (she means Yvonne Caffin, the costume designer) when she interviewed me ... not to put women on board in the very beflowered, beplumed hats of the period as American women (and they were mostly Americans) would never wear street hats on board, and look what met your eyes at the Captain's table! Everything except the kitchen table on their heads!"

I hope things were different in the Palm Court, as I'd hate to miss out on the hat.

Bob

Another interesting thing about hats, and how seriously some passengers might have taken the threat of sinking. A steerage passenger from my own locality in the west of Ireland was on a life boat and left it to go below to retrieve her hat, she then got into a second lifeboat and survived! Delia McDermott

Delia bought the hat before she left Lahardane, in the local town, Crossmolina in a shop called Cawley's, still there. Knowing the way money was at the time,it was probably one of the very few luxuries she ever had. So I suppose it was a hell of a hat! Local folklore has it that on the evening before she left the village she met a stranger who told her about the impending disaster. Her biography on the website is quite accurate. The cottage she left from in Knockfarnought has recently gone up for sale.

I must be related to you because Maggie Daly was my grandmother and I too have always had a sad interest (as did my father) on the mighty ships sinking. Our Grandmother sadly lost her 2nd husband on another ship. The Milisle.

Back