all so fascinated with this shipwreck which
claimed the life of her father, and forever
shaped her life.
When I first met her in 1987, I was privileged
to spend some time with her in her home in
Westport Point. She would answer the questions
posed to her about the Titanic, but amazed me
with her questioning of what young people thought
about and worried about in that day and time.
She seemed very interested in what young people
were thinking. At a time in life where most
people become, for many reasons, self-absorbed,
she wanted to know about us! I will never forget
that inquisitiveness, and I will never forget
the way she would sign endless autographs so
as not "to disappoint anyone". She asked me
numerous times, "would they like to hear my
story down in South Carolina?" I thought today,
yes, I would really love to hear that voice
talk about her father, and ask me what I was
thinking.....just one more time.

Bon Voyage, Marjorie! Happy Birthday

Marjorie sounds like she was a very interesting person. I wish I could have known her. Its hard to imagine a person being alive at 113 but I was doing some research the other day and read that the last officially recognized veteran of the civil war was Walter Williams. He lived to the age of 117 and died in 1959. Are there any civil war buffs out there that knows more about this person? Sounds hard to believe to me.

Hey Darren--I think he actually died in 1960 instead of 1959 and I believe he lived in Houston, Texas. At the time of his death I was a first grader in the Dallas area and the Texas papers were full of articles about him. Can't tell you much else.

Phil

Darren and Phil,
Walter Williams died in Houston Texas, December 19, 1959 at the age of 117. He had enlisted as a private in the Confederate 5 th Cavalry and served as a foragemaster. The last veteran of the Grand Army of the Republic was Albert Woolson who died in Duluth Minnesota at age 109 on August 2, 1956. Woolson enlisted at the age of 17 and was a drummer boy.

Hope this was a help.
Respectfully,
Robert W. Collier

According to the obituary about Marjorie Robb in The Herald News June 13 1992 she had three children: Neewell Robb Vice President of the Fall River Gas Co. Madeleine Crawley of Portola, CA and Marjorie Snow of Little Compton R.I. Have any of you been in contact with them? Since old age is brought up here, I tell you that I attended the 109 years birthady to my friend Olav Hovatn, who lives near Arendal; Norway in october 2001.
He use to tell me about his experiences during a snowstorm in Norway at the New Year 1900.

Newell passed away several years ago- heart complications. He was on the board of the Fall River Marine Museum in his retirement. Marjorie I believe is still in Berkeley, Cal. I can find out.Mr. Newell's ring which was found when his body was recovered is now in the possession of his great -grandaughter whom I hear from from time to time.
http://www.revdma2.com/portrait.html

Hi Shell,

Newell died of leukemia complications in 1995, but his wife Mary still lives in their lovely house overlooking the Main Road and the Atlantic.

Madeleine Crowley and Marjorie Snow are both alive and doing fairly well. Madeleine, who will be 81 this year, just recently authored a book entitled "Called to Rise: A Journey Through Disability." The book details Madeleine's battle with polio - which she was stricken with at the age of 27. She remains very active, and is a counselor near San Francisco.

Marjorie Snow still lives in Little Compton - just down the road from Manchester's ~ one of her mother's favorite restaurants. Do you remember the time when Marjorie wanted to leave a $100 tip for the dinner that came to $70 total? We must go back there again someday......good memories....

Mike

Nothing to do with the Titanic, but to extremely old age: I am now in the course of obtaining the birth certificate of the oldest portuguese person alive today, so that she may be recognized by the Supercentenarians committee - she is Mrs Catarina Carreiro, and she has just turned 111 (born in 1891) and she is amazingly well - still walks on her feet and has a good eyesight, sense and humor
happy.gif

But old as she may be, I think she will given the 20th place in the table of the oldest... (to those who are interested in this subject, check the site www.grg.org/calment.html)... the 1st place nowadays goes to the United States, to Mrs Maud Farris Luse, who is 115.

Filipe
happy.gif

Here is a photo of Miss Marjorie in Mystic Ct. The year I believe is 1989 (will check that) Frank Aks and Gerald Nummi were in attendence too. I had set up a little "palm court" in the foyer , Mrs. Robb is listening to the piano and vocal ensemble sing 1912 tune in this photo. She was very musical as you may know-played the violin, which went down with Titanic- and was a founder of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra. Sure do miss her...
10309.jpg

Thank you Filipe to let us know about the web site about the very old people around the world.
I recommend to read The Herald, Sharon Pa. internet page, the archive February 6 1998, There you can read an article about Frank Rendes, Titanic historian. Frank tells that M. Robb captured Rendes hart by sharing her memories of the paralyzing terror.

Hello:

Sometime before her death an article appeared in the periodical "Womens World" (Seriously guys, I do not subscribe to this...it's that magnetic Titanic attraction). A short summary w/photos on Ms. Newell/Robb's experience of 14/15 April 1912.

I felt sorrow in the lasting effect the tragedy left on the family in general...Marjorie's Mother attired in her mourning cloths thereafter...and so be it, the TITANIC tragedy go unspoken in the household.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA
(Old Man Winter..."In like a lion...out like a lion")

Back