Martin Mcmahon

Daniel, here's some info to get you started: Martin McMahon was a 20 year old farm labourer from Cragbrien, Ennis, County Clare in Ireland. His parents' names were Honour and Anthony McMahon (also a farmer). Martin was described in a local newspaper back in 1912 as 'a fine athletic young man and very popular in his local district'. The address he was heading for in New York was 415, West 53rd St. He had originally booked passage on another White Star liner, the Cymric, which was laid up due to a coal strike so he was transferred to the brand new Titanic. He boarded at Queenstown (Cobh) with Third Class ticket number 370372 which cost £7 15s. Sadly he was not a survivor and his body, if recovered, has never been identified.

The starting point is always the Passenger Biographies section on this site, and some extra info came from the book 'The Irish Aboard Titanic' by Senan Molony. The original sources would have included the Passenger lists as well as local newspaper archives and documents like the 1901 Census returns. The Census gives details of the people resident at a particular address; in Martin's case in 1901 (when he was 7) he lived with his father (57), mother (46) older brothers Michael and Edmond (15 and 11) and sister Margaret (5). It's likely that there were older children who had left home and would not be recorded at the same address.

Another source, the records of the Relief Committees, show that Martin's mother Honour was listed as dependent on his income and was provided with £25 from relief funds. That's probably all you will get on Martin as an individual, but check back in case other members have more to add. You may also want to learn more about life (and death) onboard for the Third Class passengers in general. There's a great deal of info to be found in the threads here on ET. Good luck!

Hi there, I am trying to contact a former member called Daniel Maher. He was looking for information about his great grand uncle Martin McMahon who was a passenger on the titanic. Unfortunately I came across his postings only recently and in the meantime he is no longer a member. Can anyone help me further. I maybe able to help with his family history. Thanks.

John McMahon, older brother, may have been the father of my Great-Grandmother, Sarah McMahon Woolley. Sarah would be inconsolable for about a month before and after the anniversary of the sinking - as remembered by her children and grandchildren. We don't know who her relation(S) were who were lost, but John, b 1871, may be a match as brother to Martin. Please advise.

just today learned that Martin may have been coming to the USA to work for a 3xgreat uncle Oliver Collins McMahon... whose Father was Dennis McMahon who's father may have been a John McMahon of Belmont Co Ohio in 1820 Oliver Collins would have lived in Kansas USA -- we have been looking for Dennis McMahons family who his father was ect... could Martin REALLY have been a cousin??!! if so WOW!

Hi
My uncle who emigrated to America 30 years ago went to Ireland to trace ourFamily tree found out that Martin McMahon was our great great uncle and we have all documents to prove it . Funny enough my uncle name is Martin McMahon, dad name is kevin Patrick and cousin’s name is Anthony so we all have family names.....

Martin McMahon was my wife's great uncle so there may be links with others in these postings.
Martin McMahon was my Great great great uncle, we found this out when my uncle who emigrated to America 35 years ago researched our family tree and went over to Ireland funny enough my uncles name is Martin Mcmahon My dads name is. Kevin Patrick and cousin is called Anthony so we still all have family first names.....

I believe His older Sister Bridget is my great great Grandma, as her last name is McMahon , and she was from county Clare , and her birthday matches up to the one given , I do believe he was my great great uncle , I myself and only 13 but I have taken on a great passion for the titanic and when I found out I may have a relative who passed away on great ship I just became even more invested, if anyone has any more info I’d love to hear it

Back