Masts, flags & banners

Ken Ziemski

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted or asked anything... I have question regarding the tops of the masts on Olympic family of ships. Was there any type of crowning on top, ie: a ball, spire, or other adornment? I can't seem to find any info on that... trying to replicate the tops of the masts for a wall decoration/tribute...
KenZ in the USA ... Celebrating Titanic week in my own quiet way Thanks to all! Cheers.

As far as I know, there was no kind of ornament on the mast heads, though I'd like to see better photos. What they did have were blocks and halyards for hoisting flags.

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted or asked anything... I have question regarding the tops of the masts on Olympic family of ships. Was there any type of crowning on top, ie: a ball, spire, or other adornment? I can't seem to find any info on that... trying to replicate the tops of the masts for a wall decoration/tribute...
KenZ in the USA ... Celebrating Titanic week in my own quiet way Thanks to all! Cheers.
The Olympic class ships had masts primarily made up of riveted steel plates. However, the top of the masts was comprised of a 15-foot teak pole. On top of this teak pole was a mast “truck” which can be seen in the image below. Two sheaves were set in the truck to accommodate flag halyards. Atop the truck, a lightning rod was fixed which had a steel wire which was led down the mast and grounded to the hull.
IMG_4899.jpeg
IMG_4900.jpeg

Back