How did they lower the Reciprocating Engines, Turbines, and other machinery into Titanic?

Here are some photos for you to study, Cam. They're both of Oceanic but will give you an idea of how things would be moved around. The first photo is at the top of the light and air shaft which would lead right down into the engine room. You can see a track which spans the shaft and has a chain hoist hanging from it.

The second photo is right down in the engine room (if you looked up you would see where the first photo was taken). There is a track running directly over each engine where a chain hoist could be used for things such as lifting cylinder covers.

Engine room well and skylight from catwalk. Ship No: 317

Thank you, I really Appreciate it, Tim!

Here are some photos for you to study, Cam. They're both of Oceanic but will give you an idea of how things would be moved around. The first photo is at the top of the light and air shaft which would lead right down into the engine room. You can see a track which spans the shaft and has a chain hoist hanging from it.

The second photo is right down in the engine room (if you looked up you would see where the first photo was taken). There is a track running directly over each engine where a chain hoist could be used for things such as lifting cylinder covers.

Nice find. Those are some really good pics. I will look them over more when I can.

Cam...if you were asking me about that crane pic I have no clue what it is or what its main function was for (other than lifiting stuff...doh). All I can say is that it looks like its on rails. Maybe one of the people here with shipyard experiance can tell you.

Nice find. Those are some really good pics. I will look them over more when I can.

Cam...if you were asking me about that crane pic I have no clue what it is or what its main function was for (other than lifiting stuff...doh). All I can say is that it looks like its on rails. Maybe one of the people here with shipyard experiance can tell you.
It's quite alright, Steven! I'm really happy with the Distress Signals video anyway

Back