Mauretania Forth Bridge Photograph

23136.jpg

Great photo!

Only thing I see wrong with it is that the painting depicting this scene (hung in the tourist class smoking room of Queen Mary) shows massive clouds of billowing black smoke rising from her funnels.

I was wondering if any of you have the book, RMS Queen Mary; Transatlantic Masterpiece
by Janette McCutcheon?
In the book there is a page with the painting of Mauretania at the Forth Bridge.
There is also a PHOTOGRAPH of almost the exact same scene wit ha view of Mauretania's Port side.
I was wondering if any of you could scan it and mail me it at [email protected]

Thanks.

Nice little soft cover book. Picked it up from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for less than $18.00. Has some of the same photos we've seen before, but several others that aren't too common. Worth picking up IMHO.

--SDR

Hi,
I have a rather scarce real photo postcard that matches this image quite nicely - taken July 3rd, 1935.

Best,
Eric2
happy.gif

90468.jpg

(C) Eric Longo Image Collection

Hi Mr. Standart,
yes, it was taken July 3rd, 1935 as she arrived at the breakers right before making her last turn - last moments under her own power actually. It was the masts that were cut down so she would fit under the Firth of Forth Railway Bridge, which is visible on the left. She is flying her "Blue Ribband" aft, for the last time. The image is a bit better - not the best scan.

Best,
Billy
happy.gif

Back