Mauretania Forth Bridge Photograph

Ahhhhhh...okay. My bad about getting mixed up on the stacks. A sad end for a great ship, but then there was a lot of tonnage going to the breakers then. It was a pretty bleak time.

Hi,
here she is rusting away at Berth 108 in 1935. Way in the distance is Olympic. Sad end indeed.

Best,
Eric2

90530.jpg

(C) Eric Longo Image Collection

Oh, these were painful to look at, the poor old gal at the end of the line- I always wished she, instead of the Queen Mary were tied up in Long Beach! For my money, the Maury was the sleekest liner silhouette ever built in her era. I see ebay has a lot of wooden ware items from candlesticks to napkin rings made of her teak decking- I may weaken and bid on the candlesticks!

Hi Shelley,
Yes, it is sad to see these liners like this. As far as scrap items - I have a really nice teak barrel - the larger variety - made from Mauretania with the little plaque, if you are interested. Much scarcer than the 2" version from what I have seen.

Best,
Eric2

hey greg i just got back from long beach i was wondering the image that you are looking for is it the one where shes is heading to the scrappers if so i took a photo of the painting of her aboard the queen mary in long beach it of her as shes heading to the scrappers also got a postcard of the same images email me at [email protected] if you want a copy of my photo its high res or have somthing to trade for this new postcard

Back