Mauretania's Turbine Engines

Mark,

Thanks so much for you're input! It is, indeed, much appreciated! I have one further question. I am but an amateur researcher, so, I ask a highly experienced and very good researcher, how does one achieve the records that your have? I live in the states, I don't know that I have access to Olympic's repair records.

In any case, I may be able to determine some general characteristics of Olympic's turbine, regardless of whether or not I have the temps. From what I've read, largely from the link that I've posted above, the state of water in Olympic's turbine was of steam. If that is indeed the case, then I would look to the fact that the nozzles at the steam entrance and exit were looked at. A malfunction in them may cause a state in the steam that is not desirable. My question to you would be; were they replaced?

I'll have some calculations for the creep phenomenon shortly. if you like I will post them.

Thank you very much Mark!

-Dean

Dean,

I wouldn't say I was a highly-experienced researcher, but here goes... Nearly all records relating to the Olympic that deal with her Board of Trade surveys are in the Public Record Office at Kew, London. They have a website:

www.pro.gov.uk

Eric Wood asked me a similar question in our conversation about how strong her hull was (Technical-Construction-Design: Olympic's Sound Hull & Machinery). As I've said the office have a website, but I am not sure if you can order documents by post, as I know that is expensive here and even more so for America I should think. You can search and order them over the net. I live some distance from the office and so have not been able to visit as often as I'd like to; in fact, I was surprised at how much research I got done in one day, and how many pencils I got through.

From the notes I have, it says

Quote:
...the inlet and exhaust steam valves, were cleaned and scaled, to be covered with ‘Apexior’ non-corrosive paint.​

So they weren't replaced, but they were scaled and did need attention as you thought.

I would appreciate seeing your calculations about 'creep' when you've completed them;
no hurry.

Best regards,

Mark.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out that link soon, as well as try to have some more info regarding the brass. Right now I'm just busy.

Later

-Dean

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out that link soon, as well as try to have some more info regarding the brass. Right now I'm just busy.

How's the info. coming on?

Best regards,

Mark.

Hey Mark,

I've been digging and digging. I think I came up with a way to estimate the temperatures at the inlet and outlet.
proud.gif
The trouble is finding some data on the materials. There is a small steam turbine museum in Exton Pa, about an hour from my pad. They claim to have over 2,700 volumes dealing with the history of steam power.

I'll keep you posted, Mark.

Best regards,

-Dean

Back