Mrs Marie Aks Passes Away

Sad news today. Mrs. Frank Aks, Marie, died this morning in a Norfolk, Virginia Hospital. Her 89th birthday had been just Friday, the 24th. Born Marie Miller, she married Frank, "Philly" Aks in 1929- she was 15, Frank was 18. Tiny and vivacious with snapping black eyes- Frank once told me Marie (whom he fondly called -in his Southern accent, "Mah Baby") was a knockout when he met her. A more devoted couple I have yet to meet. Marie loved to travel to Titanic functions with Frank- sometimes looking heavenward with a little sigh when he would launch into his "Titanic Baby" story. She was outgoing -, tireless, thoughtful, and never forgot a face. She loved young people, always did her part in any fund-raising for charity, especially if it involved children, and had the most wonderful sense of humor. She is survived by her daughter Barbara, her other daughter Joyce passed away from cancer, as did Marie, in 1996 at age 62. As sure as I know they are all together again- it is a sad loss for us left behind. Here are a few photos of happy times.

53314.jpg
Joyce and Marie arriving in New York at the Trade Center Marriott 1992.

Dear Shelley,

Thank you very much for posting news of Mrs. Aks' passing as well as the photographs. And please convey to the family our heartfelt condolences.

The last week or so have been tough for the ET family. I would like to extend my thoughts to those others experiencing loss at this time.

Randy

I am very saddened to hear of Marie's passing. I am sure she was a wonderful woman. May she be reunited with her husband, daughter and other passed on family and friends. The Titanic community mourns once again...

I'm also very saddened to hear this news.
sad.gif
My condolences and sympathies to the family. Thank you Shelley for posting the photos, and thanks to Eric for posting that link.

Best regards,

Jason

This is Mrs. Aks's death notice from the Virginian-Pilot

Marie M. Aks
VIRGINIA BEACH -- Marie Miller Aks, 89, of the 5600 block of Wesleyan Drive, died Jan. 26, 2003, in a Norfolk hospital.

Mrs. Aks was a native of Portsmouth and a lifelong resident of Hampton Roads. She was the widow of Frank Phillip Aks and was preceded in death by her daughter, Joyce Rosenfeld. She was a member of Congregation Beth El in Norfolk and a member of the Hadassah.

Survivors include a daughter, Barbara Aks Morris of Port St. Lucie, Fla.; a sister, Lilly Yochelson of Silver Springs, Md.; four grandchildren, Steven and Brian Morris, Susan Crockin and Steven Rosenfeld; four great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandson.

A chapel service will be conducted at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in H.D. Oliver Funeral Apts., Norfolk Chapel, by Rabbi Arthur Ruberg and Cantor Jacob Tessler. Burial will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.

And of course, no one bothered telling me about this tragic bit of news. Next to Walter Lord the deaths of Frank and Marie Aks are just devastating. My last link to Titanic's Jews has been severed. Hear O Israel the Lord is One! I will say a very belated Kaddish in their memories. An appropriate memorial would be to plant a tree in Israel.

Kelly--do you have to repeat that awful refrain Before I sink into the big sleep/Iwant to hear/The scream of the butterfly-Mr Mojo Risin after every post. It has nothing to do with the Titanic and it's annoying to boot.

Back