Murdoch spoke to Andrews about demotion?

The phrasing in this section from A Night To Remember feels a bit ambiguous to me. The use of the word "might" would seem to indicate it's just a possible example, as part of the description of Andrews' character, but it's odd to me to use a known figure and a known issue if that interaction did not actually occur. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 9.31.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 9.31.18 AM.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 138
Thoughts?
While there is no known source given by Walter Lord, the matter isn't something that's out of the question. Thomas Andrews Jr knew first officer Murdoch for nearly five years up to that point, considering Murdoch was the first officer during the maiden voyage of the RMS Adriatic, also under captain Smith, in May 1907. The two men knew one another as acquaintances and Thomas Andrews Jr was known by each departement of the crew as someone they could approach with their problems, both relating to the ship or a kind word of advice. Considering Walter Lord befriended and corresponded with multiple survivors prior to the release of the book in 1955 it is possible he might heard a story about that. If that story is indeed true, than we shall most likely never know who it was.

I'm going to strike a dissenting note here.

To me it simply reads more like Lord just naming two hypothetical situations about the officers and the bickering stewardesses. I'd like to see more proof rather than just take that at face value.

The whole "officer reshuffle" episode really is not the big deal some people have made it out to be.

Wilde and Murdoch knew the arrangement was only for a few voyages, then Wilde would be away to take command of the Cufic on the Australian run and Murdoch restored to chief.

We now know from Harry Wilde's collected letters home that he wasn't really all that keen on being appointed chief officer on the Titanic but being a good professional he accepted. He had been looking forward to spending some time on leave with his children in Liverpool and was due for command of the Cufic once coal stocks were back to normal.

Back