New Lusitania specials

Okay, I'll have to make a note of that and check them out. Fortunately, I've got this weekend off! Thanks for the heads up. I'd welcome any additional details if you have any.

Hmmm... I assumed there were two different ones, as BBC is promoting one for May 20, but it could be the same one. I do know Barbara mcDermott was interviewed by the BBC back in early 2005 for one.

The sequences look exciting in this. Maybe a somewhat technically inaccurate, but sometimes, you have to let that go for the experience of watching what is the closest re-creation to date. Although, they could have done without the stalling elevator sequence. Also the 2nd class dining room with the dark wood looks more Mauretania like. And why must they use the Avis Dolphin story? It's told in every book with nothing really new. It's not like it turned out she was a spy or something in later life. I did recognize the actor playing Professor Holbourn- he was the brother of Evie in the 1999 film, The Mummy! Great movie!

I appreciate your comments about the Avis Dolphin story. What I have seen on the clips in parts remind me of the movie I see in my head when I read accounts of the diaster. I think the fact that Avis is one of the few welll known accounts of children known and also Professoer Holburn has an important role in the bigger story with his concerns about safety during the voyage. .
I can forgive the Titanic libelts in this as costume resources/budget matter but I think the U boat exterior should have been more accurate. That looked like a WWII type VII.

The panic and elevator scenes were chiling. Did they occur was it that a bad on deck?
Kent makes a ref to the elevator doors jamming in part of his book that the publisher has made available on line.

best regards

Martin

Hi Martin
They could have used a plethora of children's stories; names like Mainman, Gardner, Fish, etc..
Perhaps there are more scenes set in first and third class, we shall see.

It depends about the elevators. As Jim pointed out, the earliest he found in research was a 1917/18 mention by James Leary. Could it have happened? Maybe. But there is no actual proof and Kent does say this in his book.

Did you order your copy? the hardcover I am told is ready and will be made available today or tomorrow.

I did enjoy the sequence of the passengers forcing their way into the boats the way Howard Fisher described in a letter to his son. Very realistic.

Martin,

The lift attendant operators survived the sinking. It appears that they left their posts after the torpedo impact; if any lifts were in use when the power failed, it was not with their assistance and was thus wholly unauthorized.

Thank you Michael and Kent,
They didn't lock the lift? That is remiss. How will they explain the second explosion?
Discovery definitely has my attention on this. It goes to air on the 12th which is tomorrow.
I will watch this space.

Michael, I do have an order for the hard cover version so that is good news. I have an order in for a copy of Lauriat's 1915 book so I'll see which gets in first.

Cheers

Martin

I'm watching it now- So far it seems very good-

I see they paid attention to small details, such as the fact her funnels were black during this voyage, rather than the standard cunard colors....
I think a Lusitania movie is LONG overdue- this special is proof that the story is important enough to merrit a film adaptation-
A question- during the sinking, did CaptTurner stay on the bridge, and capt Anderson handle matters on deck?
Was there really this much disorder during the evacuation?

tarn Stephanos

Horrifying to imagine what the victims went through who were trapped in the elevator...And the scene of Capt Turner on the flooding bridge brings to mind a similar scene from Cameron's Titanic

>>implying a coverup began the moment Lusitania went down....<<

That's practically a given just about any time something like this happens, and it's not without a kernal of truth to it. I'm not talking about the sort of creative conspiracy theories one gets from the likes of Colin Simpson or Robin Gardiner. What you typically get in reality is the sort of thing where people who should have known better find that they have to hide the fact that on some level, they just plain screwed up. (That or to save face, they have to hide the fact that somebody else screwed up!)

Thanks Martin for directing me to this thread.

To Mike and all else who have seen this:

I found it fascinating. I question the accuracy of the story based on what I've heard mariners here say, but all in all I found it very informative. I know next to nothing about the Lusitania so this was a real treat on getting to know her and her story.

I still ask though, how much was actually accurate and how much was dramatic license to sell a decent documentary? I was pretty much strapped in until the end. I haven't read the inquiries nor do I know enough from passenger testimony to be able to rate this show. Except that I personally liked it a lot and thought "it's about time Lucy gets some recognition."

Back