New Olympic Class Parts

Tim Aldrich

I have a small machine shop and I have an insane idea. I want to make new parts for an Olympic class ship. Before you call for the men with the straight jackets, let me explain.

Last year I came up with the idea to rebuild some part of Titanic (I'm using that ship specifically, but am aware that the three were pretty much the same when it comes to the nuts and bolts). I want to make an engine part specifically, but will accept almost anything. Every single part had to have a mechanical drawing (blueprint) and there just has to be some of those drawings floating around out there. Some specific to the class of ship, some were simple H&W "stock" parts, some were general British specification (nuts and bolts). I thought "How cool would it be to have a framed mechanical drawing with that part displayed with it?" For example, the linkage rod for a water tight door's float. Let your mind run wild. A high pressure piston nut. A pin that holds a cable sheave of an electric crane. A bearing adjustment screw for a dynamo.

The problem I have is that I have not been able to dig up any drawings for the Olympic class. Heck, I consider myself lucky to have found drawings from H&W in general. It's a drawing for a governor screw and the date is 1939. Obviously an engine part. I'm going to attempt to make this part, hopefully in full scale depending on my supply of material and, at the end, have a little chunk of H&W.

If you have any mechanical drawings you would be willing to share with me, I'll be more than happy to receive them. Heck, I'm open to anything related to any of the ships involved in the Titanic story. Turnbuckle for a funnel stay on the Californian? Sure.

Good Luck! :)

As a suggestion, you could replicate a part of the Titanic's Wilson-Pirrie Steering Gear. It was invented by H&W and used on the Olympic-Class and the Californian!*

Strnggea.gif

*The Californian's one was built by different builders but still was the same type.

Attachments

• Titanic's Steering Engines.pdf
    776.7 KB · Views: 1,148
Thank you Harland, that blueprint is similar to the type of drawing I'm looking for. That blueprint looks a lot like a patent drawing. I'm attaching the governor screw drawing I mentioned in the first post to show what type of drawings I'm hunting for.
SANY1168_small.JPG

Sounds like an excellent idea Tim.

At some point I am hoping to build a working scale model of one of the emergency dynamos (easier than the main dynamos as no forced lubrication).

I don't have any plans to offer you unfortuantly but looking forward to seeing how you get on.

At some point I am hoping to build a working scale model of one of the emergency dynamos
That would be really cool, Rancor.

Here's another idea, if it's feasible, you could remake the Titanic's Whistles (or a scaled down version of them)!
I have done a little research on the whistles in order to figure out the length of each bell. The diameters are listed and quite easy to find, but the length, not so much. I can't remember where I put the drawing I made up. I figured out that a small scale version of the whistles could be made out of common exhaust pipe sizes. That's the easy part, it's all the other bits and bobs that would be difficult. I have made some single chime whistles but have never attempted something like Titanic had. Link below.

youtube:vUb3jmRyTY4

"Titanic: The Ship Magnificent: Volume 1" contains some plans and dimensions of the Whistles stating them to be of "the Willett-Bruce'' type.

I can send some screenshots of them if you want.

The mad scientist in me wants to see a working replica of the Parsons turbine at the builder's model scale (1:48) but woe is us, for I have no idea where to find the plans of the turbine casing or rotor drum! And that's not even including the turning gear and other miscellany!

Here's another idea*, but what about a scale model of either one of the Titanic's propellers or a H&W propeller blade?

titanic.jpg

Photo is of a movie prop from the 1997 film.

*This is going to get out of hand very fast! :confused:

Last edited:
I think the problem is, ladies and gentlemen, that Tim is looking for ENGINEERING drawings which are far more detailed and give extensive dimensional information not included in the outline/operational drawings.

If anyone knows of any technical drawings of this type then I'm sure Tim would be overjoyed.

Roger

You are correct Mr. Southern.
Here's another idea*, but what about a scale model of either one of the Titanic's propellers or a H&W propeller blade?
I would prefer to stick with full size parts so that means propeller hubs and blades are not an option. I also don't have the means to do any metal casting. With the machine tools I have the largest pieces I could deal with effectively could be no more than 6"(150mm) in diameter or longer than 36" (1m).

Best bet might be to try and contact Harland and Wolff. Perhaps they still have some old plans tucked away in a set of draws somewhere.

Back