New Olympic Class Parts

They might. I just can't bring myself to contact them for fear of coming across as yet another Titanic nerd wasting some poor PR assistant's time.

A little update with the the governor screw mentioned in the original post. I would say it's at the half-way point and the project thus far has been a bit of an eye opener.

The drawing I'm working from is interesting in that it uses both metric and imperial dimensions. In the photos I've attached you may be able to see that I've jotted down the imperial equivalents to metric dimensions (my machinery is all imperial). The biggest eye-opener is the size of this part. A person can look at a drawing, grab a ruler and get some idea of the actual size of a part, look at things in VR, but it just cannot compare to holding a tangible part in your hands.

governor_screw8.jpg

governor_screw9.jpg

I have some detailed drawings from the magazine "engineering" I could forwarded them to you if you wish ( some engine plans and other equipment if your interested.

They might. I just can't bring myself to contact them for fear of coming across as yet another Titanic nerd wasting some poor PR assistant's time.

I can totally understand your point on this one. They probably field several such calls a day. Otherwise perhaps the Titanic Museum?

Or how about a piece of machinery made by a different company, such as the Dynamos? If the manufacturer is still in business they could have plans hiding away and wouldn't get quite the volume of Titanic related enquires.

Pictures look great so far, well done. Interesting to think that 79 years ago someone would have been working on a lathe making the same part that would have been fitted to a ship that most likely would have been involved in world war 2, perhaps in a convoy or similar. Every piece is part of the story.

I have some detailed drawings from the magazine "engineering" I could forwarded them to you if you wish ( some engine plans and other equipment if your interested.
Are there measurements on those drawings like the drawing I've shown? If so, I'm interested in seeing them.

Or how about a piece of machinery made by a different company, such as the Dynamos? If the manufacturer is still in business they could have plans hiding away and wouldn't get quite the volume of Titanic related enquires.
That's a good idea.

Hi, they give some general measurements. Noting very detailed I do however have a full set of drawings for a 1930s tug boat engine ( french built) that shows every part and measurements of each part :)

The Harland & Wolff governor screw is done. I couldn't quite figure out the square bit and the 5/8" BSP thread until I had the completed part. The square bit is so a handle (I'm assuming a round handle as is seen all over engine rooms) can be attached to turn the whole screw and the BSP thread is simply for a nut to retain the handle. It's been a fun project and I've learned a lot.

Attachments

• governor_screw10.jpg
    governor_screw10.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 186
  • governor_screw11.jpg
    governor_screw11.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 186
Back