Norwegian Dawn Hit By Large Wave

Here's the link:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/17/ship.diverted.ap/index.html

The Norwegian Cruise Line ship Norwegian Dawn was struck by a 70-foot wave, during a Nassau to New York cruise.

According to the story, the wave reached up to Deck 10, broke windows in two areas, and caused flooding in about 62 cabins.

This reminded me of last year, when Jason and I were on the Queen Mary 2. In addition to the rough seas, a wave did strike the ship on Monday afternoon, while I was at the ship's gymnasium: I was seated at a muscle press machine, but the people using the treadmills and cross-country units were practically thrown off their machines.

Maybe I missed it, but I thought ya'll would be talking about this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=2&u=/ap/20050417/ap_on_re_us/cruise_ship_diverted
The "Norwegian Dawn", a 965 ft cruise liner returning to NY from The Bahamas was hit by a 7 story wave that prompted orders for all passengers to don PFD's. Luckily, they were able to take refuge and dock the ship in Charleston (SC),the most hospitable city in the Nation. That's not just my [biased] opinion because it's my home, some [insignificant] study in some [insignificant] magazine or journal actually rated Charleston as "The Friendliest City in the Country"......and, when we are not getting a 'case of the vapors' and fanning ourselves at the news, we are a quite friendly lot.

As far as the cruise ship 'Norwegian Dawn', I imagine this mishap really put the crew its paces. From all reports, the ship never took on water, do ya'll believe that?

Yup, Susan - some discussion over in this thread: The New Age of Passenger Liners. But no thread of its own until you popped in. It's good to see a bit of local information on the story too.

One of my comments was on my surprise that it ranked in the top five of the most viewed online stories in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald, with the qualifier that clearly we all still enjoy a 'disaster' story.

Yeah, I thought I had missed the discussion, but I didn't see anything on first glance so I started the thread, hope that is okay. Some of the news coverage is calling it a "Titanic" wave. Something for Monica to add to her metaphors.

Regarding the local coverage, Charleston is a historical city and prides itself on the preservation of that history. No building can be raised higher than St. Michael's cathedral, so the city-scape is preserved. It is a great city and I love it and miss it. I have lived here in Jacksonville for about three years now and still mourning for my hometown southern charm. I have to get used to having doors dropped in my face,and rudeness of the like....I just try to keep in mind that there is NO STATE TAX here in FLA.
Regarding the stranded passengers, some (many, I here) decided to cut the trip short right there, and [here I go again], there are worse places to be stranded than Charleston.

Reading your description of Charleston reminds me of a meeting I had early this year with artists who'd visited the city and were captivated by its history and state of preservation. Most of the meeting was spent talking about Charleston's time capsule rather than discussing business.

I've seen this on the news the past couple of days, most recently tonight. It was reported that a musician played the Titanic movie theme song, after the wave hit.

I was thinking the same thing, John. It immediately caused me to think about our experience on the Queen Mary 2, but this looks like it was a lot worse from what I saw on the news. Although, a seventy foot wave did strike the bow of the QM2 which is most likely the one you're referring to. I'm sure you haven't forgotten the lift incident either, I know I haven't!

Jason, I will, honestly, never forget when we got stuck in the elevator, either. I just hope that the next time we're on the Queen Mary 2, or the QE2, we'll have smooth seas.

BTW, I think the various news stations will have extended coverage about the wave incident, on their 11:00 PM newscasts.

"I just hope that the next time we're on the Queen Mary 2, or the QE2, we'll have smooth seas."

And fair winds as well.
wink.gif

You're right, the news that I watched had quite a bit of coverage on it, including some dramatic personal footage from a local resident.

Back