Hello !

I was wondering if someone knew the Olympic's exact position (in degrees) in the North Atlantic when she lost a propeller blade on February 24, 1912 ?
According to this site, the collision occured about 750 miles off the Newfoundland coast. This is the only information I have...
Perhaps the position was written in her logbook... Does it still exist ? If this is the case, do you know where I can find it ?

Thanks,

Manon

The question is pretty self explanatory.. I was searching the second page of Google when I found a little article saying where the Queen Mary's propellers went.. But Google had no answers as to where the Olympic's went.. Is it safe to assume they were melted down or lost to history?

The question is pretty self explanatory.. I was searching the second page of Google when I found a little article saying where the Queen Mary's propellers went.. But Google had no answers as to where the Olympic's went.. Is it safe to assume they were melted down or lost to history?
Yes

The last picture should be labeled Olympics Propellers I believe. Another thing. If you zoom in on the wing prop in that picture it looks like the prop has deteriorated. Maybe from cavitation? I don't know but it looks in poor shape. Cheers.

Last edited:
The last picture should be labeled Olympics Propellers I believe. Another thing. If you zoom in on the wing prop in that picture it looks like the prop has deteriorated. Maybe from cavitation? I don't know but it looks in poor shape. Cheers.

Actually they are brand new, the image was taken in April 1911 after the propellers were first fitted on Olympic.

Actually they are brand new, the image was taken in April 1911 after the propellers were first fitted on Olympic.
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Yes April 1911 they would be new. Maybe its a flawed picture. Or was the final conditioning/finish work done after they were mounted? I don't know. It's just in that picture they look kind of rough to me. Cheers.

Back