Olympics's Reconstruction

Good Day!

I own a copy of Mark Warren's Shipbuilder compilations, and I found a puzzling passage. On page 137, Shipbuilder discusses the Hawke incident and how Olympic would return to Belfast in October for repairs. It then goes on to say,

"Advantage will be taken of Olympic's presence in Belfast to increase the number of suite rooms, as has been done in the case of Titanic, and other work will also be carried out. It is said that the vessel will remain here for about four months."

Wasn't the Olympic's suites added in the 20's? I know that they weren't added before the Titanic sank. I thought that Olympic's first alteration was in 1913. Can someone explain?

Thanks,

David

Hi David!

Some passenger accommodation alterations were done in October 1911, as evidenced by the slight change in Olympic's net tonnage in November 1911 in the registry. (Her gross tonnage did not change at all from memory until 1913, however.) However, the B-deck suites forward were added in 1928. There may have been some minor changes to staterooms, but I have not got my sources with me at the moment. Daniel Klistorner, Brian Hawley and Stuart Kelly could probably weigh in with their thoughts and meanwhile I'll have a long think (hard at this time of the morning!)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark.

Mark,

Thanks for responding. I didn't know that her net tonnage increased in 1911. Interesting. What was the extent of the alterations, does anyone know? Anyway, the line "...as has been done in the case of Titanic," is the most interesting. That could only mean the midship B Deck suites. I know that they were never added at all on Olympic (midship suites, not forward suites), but doesn't it at least imply that they were thinking about it and planning for it?

David

Hi David!

The net tonnage may have actually been a slight decrease, I've still not had time to check. It may have refered to something as minor as redecoration for some reason. I know many interior fans were added at this time.

Best regards,

Mark.

Stuart and others,

Olympic's deck naming change took place in 1921. I'm not too familiar with the specifics, but either Olympic or the WSL changed hands and so the decks were changed in 1921. I have 43 photos (40 interiors) taken aboard Olympic in 1920 and have seen a plan from 1920 which show the old lettering, where B deck was B deck and not A deck as was the case after 1921.

As for the Hawke collision, I'd say WSL's primary concern was to get the ship back into service as soon as possible, so there would have been no alterations or renovations to interiors, other than that to fix up the hull and cabins damaged in the collision. I don't have any specifics as to what exactly was added to Olympic, but extra fans, lights, fixtures perhaps some funiture was very likely added whilst Olympic was being fixed.

Actual modifications and alterations of the interiors, which were considered quite big so early in her career occured during the winter 1912 - 1913 refit. Some cabins were removed whilst more were added, such as on Boat, A deck and C deck. Some D deck cabins were removed to make room for private bathrooms, as seen in the forward C deck cabins. The restaurant was expanded, Cafe Parisien and Restaurant reception added, D deck reception room expanded etc. Certainly furniture added, rearranged etc. Overall, Olympic was "Titanicanised" in that refit for the greater part of her. The firniture arrangements in most of her suites were the same as on Titanic, the addition of the Cafe Parisien, the expansion of the restaurant, and D deck reception room all looked like on Titanic.

Regards,

Daniel.

Perhaps he was a little wrong. No major changes such as extra suites were added during the Hawke renovation.

Daniel.

21477.jpg

The boat deck was often referred to as the 'sun deck,' then 'promenade deck A' became 'promenade deck' or 'upper promenade deck'. Bridge deck B became 'bridge deck A' and so on.

Best,

Mark.

Back