That's what I have heard and why I was interested in it.
I would strongly suggest the hardcover copy if you can get hold of one.

There are several things that IMO make the book quite unique. For me, the narrative style is the main thing; what I have come to describe as a "staggered chronological" approach whereby the authors change the perspective according to chronology of events while always coming back a bit later to the point they left off the previous person or event so as not to miss anything. To explain this, let us say we are reading about a couple of Second Class women, having realized the danger, start to make way towards the boat deck; at that point, chronological order of events might necessitate shifting the scene to a few crew members in an area that has started to flood somewhere below. But the authors always go back to describe what happened to those two second class passengers and so on. IMO, that sort of narrative approach is the only one that works with something like the multi-dimensional event that the sinking of the Titanic actually was.

As important as the main body of the book is the second part with its Appendices and reference Endnotes. The former covers the various controversial (or at least, where there is no universal agreement) events like the (absence of) binoculars in the crow's nest, music during the sinking, the "trapped" third class passengers, the so-called shooting incidents and so on. The Endnotes are information about numbered references in various chapters, including the authors' descriptions and opinions in many cases, which often enables you to look things up further eg newspaper reports.

In a nutshell, certainly worth buying.

I would strongly suggest the hardcover copy if you can get hold of one.

There are several things that IMO make the book quite unique. For me, the narrative style is the main thing; what I have come to describe as a "staggered chronological" approach whereby the authors change the perspective according to chronology of events while always coming back a bit later to the point they left off the previous person or event so as not to miss anything. To explain this, let us say we are reading about a couple of Second Class women, having realized the danger, start to make way towards the boat deck; at that point, chronological order of events might necessitate shifting the scene to a few crew members in an area that has started to flood somewhere below. But the authors always go back to describe what happened to those two second class passengers and so on. IMO, that sort of narrative approach is the only one that works with something like the multi-dimensional event that the sinking of the Titanic actually was.

As important as the main body of the book is the second part with its Appendices and reference Endnotes. The former covers the various controversial (or at least, where there is no universal agreement) events like the (absence of) binoculars in the crow's nest, music during the sinking, the "trapped" third class passengers, the so-called shooting incidents and so on. The Endnotes are information about numbered references in various chapters, including the authors' descriptions and opinions in many cases, which often enables you to look things up further eg newspaper reports.

In a nutshell, certainly worth buying.
Thank you for the vote of confidence, Arun!

Because of the updates between the first and second edition hardcovers to the third edition, we continue to recommend the current softcover third edition. However, the second edition hardcover (the smaller one) does have the most important updates that were incorporated after the first edition. So a second edition copy would be somewhat acceptable, but not a first edition copy -- particularly at the insane prices I've seen them listed for.

These days, however, (and very sadly) the softcover is the most readily available, but the contents are as up-to-date as it gets for currently-printed editions.

We continue to recommend the current softcover third edition
Thanks. I have that edition right here in our second home in India. I am thinking of getting it hardbound at a very skilled old-fashioned local bookbinder. If I did that I would not be violating any copyright regulations, would I?

Last year I had my copy of Sam Halpern's Strangers On The Horizon similarly bound after obtaining permission from him. It came out very well.

Thanks. I have that edition right here in our second home in India. I am thinking of getting it hardbound at a very skilled old-fashioned local bookbinder. If I did that I would not be violating any copyright regulations, would I?

Last year I had my copy of Sam Halpern's Strangers On The Horizon similarly bound after obtaining permission from him. It came out very well.
I don't believe so, no. Especially as it's for your own personal library. Let me know how it works out of you choose to go down that road, please. I hope you've been well since we last corresponded. Take care!

I already own a Night to Remember and have read it multiple times but I keep hearing On a Sea of Glass as a definitive book on the sinking. Is it a must have for a Titanic collection? Wondering if it should be a Christmas wish item?
I'm sure you probably looked already but in case you didn't you can get it for around $30 on Amazon or at Wally World (walmart). Worth every penny of that...especially in today's world. Just a note...Amazon only had 25 or so copies left. Kindle version is $20. Not a fan of E-books myself but I know others seem to like them. Cheers.

Not a fan of E-books myself
Neither am I, but we are the older generation, I guess. There is something enjoyable in reaching for a much-used volume on the shelf, taking it down and browsing through the pages for a particular reference. As I type this, my home office here in Bangalore (and its counterpart back in the UK) is surrounded with books, old magazines, Silver Age comics and such nostalgic memorabilia.

Neither am I, but we are the older generation, I guess. There is something enjoyable in reaching for a much-used volume on the shelf, taking it down and browsing through the pages for a particular reference. As I type this, my home office here in Bangalore (and its counterpart back in the UK) is surrounded with books, old magazines, Silver Age comics and such nostalgic memorabilia.
Yes. Agree. Nothing beats a book IMO. But I'll just make a quick comment before we veer off topic too much. I have a few E-books but only because for awhile back Amazon had a deal where if you bought a book you could get the E-book for free or maybe an extra dollar. But there is an advantage to them for people with compromised eyesight. You can zoom in on the text. My aunt in her later years...E-books were great help to her. She was a big reader and it enabled her to keep reading. Cheers.
P.S...Bangalore, India. I had to go look it up. Doesn't seem like a bad spot to get stuck in. A mixture of the new and old. Never been to India outside of seeing it from off shore.

I do like "A Night to Remember", but in all honesty I do prefer "On A Sea of Glass" as it's a later book with up-to-date research and with information that Walter Lord simply didn't have back in the 1950's.

But at the same time though, do you all think that we'll see an updated version of "On A Sea of Glass" and will it incorporate all the latest research that's been done since the latest edition came out a few years back?

I already own a Night to Remember and have read it multiple times but I keep hearing On a Sea of Glass as a definitive book on the sinking. Is it a must have for a Titanic collection? Wondering if it should be a Christmas wish item?
Absolutely! It's a long read, but most informative! A definite addition to your collection I have 22 books on titanic anthis is one of the best, if not, the best.. alongside "The Last log of the Titanic"

Let me know how it works out of you choose to go down that road, please.
I had my copy the 3rd edition softcover copy of On A Sea Of Glass hardbound as planned. I know the shop owner and gave him carte blanche to choose the best materials and do the best job he could. It cost me an equivalent of about $30 overall and it was worth every cent as it came out extremely well.

Attachments

• OASOG 1.jpg
    OASOG 1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 15
  • OASOG 2.jpg
    OASOG 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
  • OASOG 3.jpg
    OASOG 3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 19
  • OASOG 4.jpg
    OASOG 4.jpg