Other deck crew members

Now that has shocked me as i thought they would each have used their own initiative to know when an officers was needed, ah right, that would explain why, in ANTR, when Lightoller enters the first class smoking room i think, he addresses the steward he meets as "Steward" and the Quartermaster as "QM", oh one thing i was wondering if you knew, on a recent site which i now cannot find i noticed the names of 2 other deck crew not mentioned on this site, a surviving lamp trimmer called John Thorley and an Able Officer by the name of James Callagan, i wondered if anything was known about these men?? and was an Able Officer and able seaman??
Cheers Bob
Matteo :)

Good thing you can't find that website again, Matteo - best stop trying!

Neither of those men were on the Titanic and there was no such thing as an 'able officer', except as a descriptive comment about an officer who was good at his job.

I gave up on trying to find it again a few days ago, just wish i could have remembered it so i could point out their mistake, I didn't think they were, i thought they could have been delivery trip crew but they weren't, i didn't think able officer was a real position because of the same thing you've pointed out, it sounds too much like a compliment on an officer's abilities
Thanks again Bob
Hopefully my last question for a long time but were the Frederick and George Clench brothers?? it doesn't say anything on their pages as to whether they were or weren't

I gave up on trying to find it again a few days ago, just wish i could have remembered it so i could point out their mistake, I didn't think they were, i thought they could have been delivery trip crew but they weren't, i didn't think able officer was a real position because of the same thing you've pointed out, it sounds too much like a compliment on an officer's abilities
Thanks again Bob
Hopefully my last question for a long time but were the Frederick and George Clench brothers?? it doesn't say anything on their pages as to whether they were or weren't
Actually, "able officer" is just another name for the Bosun or Boatswain, which is Nichols on board the Titanic. As to Thorley and Callagan, they are just another mistake (intentional or not) in the crew list as other sites that depict this kind of errors. Throley was an assistant cook and Callaghan was a Carpathia's AB.

In addition to the purpose of this thread, the extra deck crew consisted of:
- 1 Joiner and 1 Carpenter (sharing a cabin on e deck port side)
- 1 Lamptrimmer and 1 Storekeeper (in the forecastle c deck)
- 2 Master-at-Arms (on e deck)
- 2 Window Cleaners (I'd dare to say they slept in the seamen's quarters on e deck based on Scarrott's testimony mentioning William Harder)
- 2 Mess Stewards (although some sites mention Tamlyn as the only one; they might have been the other couple sharing the extra cabin on c deck forecastle)

The other members of the department were:
- 13 ABs on the port watch
- 12 ABs on the starboard watch
- 7 Day-Hands (also seamen who stood no night watches - 1 in the alleyway, 2 promenade men, 2 second class men and 2 on the saloon deck, being Sidney Humphreys one of them, despite having signed as Quartermaster)
- 6 Lookouts
- 6 Quartermasters
- 1 Boatswain and his Mate
- 7 Officers

Last edited:
Back