Pellegrino as a scientist

Pointing out poor writing/the wilful creation of new 'facts' is not 'making fun'.
I have to agree with this. In fact, some of the reviews for Her Name, Titanic (Brought tears to my eyes etc) actually made me laugh. Such writing style is fine if one is writing poetry but not hard, cold facts.
He didn’t, it was a theory Mike, and backed it up!
Backed it up with what? More of similar theories of his own making.
Same thing what Sam did, created a theory and backed it up.
Not the same thing Cam. First of all, Sam has always said that his calculations and following conjectures should be considered as the most probable scenario and no more. And his 'backing up' is always based on mathematical and logical probabilities, like that 'bending effect' graph that I have mentioned several times before. If you have not done so already, I very strongly suggest you buy and read RITLO SS Titanic: A Centennial Appraisal.

If one thing annoys me more about books presenting non-fictional topics, it is when they choose style over substance. Pellegrino did that in all his books and even then his 'style' is not something I liked anyway. Especially when dealing with a complicated conundrum of a subject like the Titanic disaster, it is best done in painstaking and as accurately as possible presentation of facts, taking special care with timelines so that the reader does not get disorientated. That is exactly what OASOG does very well and is better for it. The slight repetitiveness in places is in fact done carefully so that the reader is able to 'go back' mentally to take-up the event that he/she left off a few pages earlier.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, yeah

but many authors stretch the truth sometimes

In "A Night to Remember" Walter Lord said William T Stead was nagged by a dream he had about throwing cats out of a top story window, and he never cited evidence about that.

Good Morning to everyone, and good afternoon to my british and other nationalities friends

Back