People trapped in cabins and various rooms deep in the stern

It depends on your definition of "quick". Under those circumstances, time would pass very slowly and painfully for anyone left on board and conscious.

I don't think implosion would or could have occurred at as little as 300 feet depth. That's within the max limit for advanced divers using trimix (no nitrogen). Also, by then the stern would be partly flooded and the pressure of any trapped air would have increased.

The Third Class cabin #181 that I used as an example is very close to the actual stern of the Titanic, right behind a bulkhead that was well aft of the break-up point and so would have remained initially intact. Also, #181 was centrally located and had no portholes; it was small enough not to have much equipment. Therefore, it is theoretically possible that someone trapped in there could have remained conscious for up to a minute as the stern sank. They would have been knocked about in absolute darkness amid horrendous noise as the flooding water closed in and the remaining air pressure within the cabin rose.

I would have been a VERY long minute for them.
You are right about it being a long minute for them. Would be for me too or anybody in that situation. What I meant as quick was as in relation to riding her down to 300' as opposed to 12,000 '. Also not long in the sense other sailors have found themselves in. U.S.S. Oklahoma,the Kursk, the Hunley and many others. Trapped inside their ships for days or hours as with the Hunley. If a compartment was sealed the air pressure inside wouldn't increase until the compartment imploded. Maybe a minor increase from the plates deforming before it burst. If it wasn't sealed and opened to sea it would have equalized as she went down. Titanic wasn't built for high pressure. I don't believe it would have taken much for any sealed compartments. The submarines during that time had a test depth of only 160' or so with their pressurized hulls.

If a compartment was sealed the air pressure inside wouldn't increase until the compartment imploded. Maybe a minor increase from the plates deforming before it burst. If it wasn't sealed and opened to sea it would have equalized as she went down. Titanic wasn't built for high pressure. I don't believe it would have taken much for any sealed compartments. The submarines during that time had a test depth of only 160' or so with their pressurized hulls.

Yes, but there are certain points pertinent to the Titanic situation. Cabin #181 (an example) was not 'sealed' even if a hypothetical occupant had closed the door.

The stern part remained dry till just before the break-up of the Titanic, right? Afterwards, with its inter-deck spaces exposed, the broken stern part of the ship would have started flooding even as it started to sink. This would have counteracted the pressure of sea from outside to some extent. Also, the flooding would have compressed the remaining air in the stern if that air was not able to escape fast enough from the open portholes etc aft of the flooding. IMO, this could have reduced the pressure gradient between inside and outside the stern section, thus delaying implosion. The Titanic might not have been built to withstand high pressure but its hull was considerably thicker than that of a 19th century submarine like the Hunley. Therefore, IMO it could have taken around a minute after the stern section disappeared beneath the surface for the flooding water to reach the area where cabin #181 was located.

Yes if the spaces were opened to the sea in any way it would have equalized pressure. There wouldn't be an implosion. If it was sealed and reached whatever crush depth for that space it would have imploded and could have caused collateral damage. But that's just a possibility. I don't know what happened for sure to the stern as she went down other than what others said. Mostly when she sank equipment was breaking loose and coming out of her on the way down. I don't know at what depth the physics kick in but I've read that if a modern sub today where to reach crush depth (collapse depth) and failed the air inside would ignite and it would be over for the crew in micro seconds. I'm sure one of the submariners here could tell more about that. But all that aside yes it could have taken a minute or more if someone was trapped inside and it would have been horrible for them. But a minute would have been quick compared to like what those poor guys went thru on the Kursk. Just MHO.

Yes, but there are certain points pertinent to the Titanic situation. Cabin #181 (an example) was not 'sealed' even if a hypothetical occupant had closed the door.

The stern part remained dry till just before the break-up of the Titanic, right? Afterwards, with its inter-deck spaces exposed, the broken stern part of the ship would have started flooding even as it started to sink. This would have counteracted the pressure of sea from outside to some extent. Also, the flooding would have compressed the remaining air in the stern if that air was not able to escape fast enough from the open portholes etc aft of the flooding. IMO, this could have reduced the pressure gradient between inside and outside the stern section, thus delaying implosion. The Titanic might not have been built to withstand high pressure but its hull was considerably thicker than that of a 19th century submarine like the Hunley. Therefore, IMO it could have taken around a minute after the stern section disappeared beneath the surface for the flooding water to reach the area where cabin #181 was located.
if her end where the brakeup happened was fac
Yes if the spaces were opened to the sea in any way it would have equalized pressure. There wouldn't be an implosion. If it was sealed and reached whatever crush depth for that space it would have imploded and could have caused collateral damage. But that's just a possibility. I don't know what happened for sure to the stern as she went down other than what others said. Mostly when she sank equipment was breaking loose and coming out of her on the way down. I don't know at what depth the physics kick in but I've read that if a modern sub today where to reach crush depth (collapse depth) and failed the air inside would ignite and it would be over for the crew in micro seconds. I'm sure one of the submariners here could tell more about that. But all that aside yes it could have taken a minute or more if someone was trapped inside and it would have been horrible for them. But a minute would have been quick compared to like what those poor guys went thru on the Kursk. Just MHO.
So is it possible that the people died within the minute, but where not blown to pieces\flung out until later on? Or were flattened when the stern impacted? Because at that depth, their face would implode on itself, but their body would be more or less be alright, right? I’m curious now...

I can't say for sure what happened inside the stern. Other than her breaking apart, sinking and hitting the bottom. One can only hope for those involved it was over as fast as it could be.

IMO, anyone left alive in air pockets deep within the stern would have died within about a minute max after it sank beneath the surface. LONG before the stern impacted with the bottom of the ocean.
No, I mean, their bodies. If humans can't survive at that depth, their faces would also implode, right? I've read some titanic books about accidents happening, they dive down to the wreck, and their helmets break or something (fiction, btw) so would the body survive? We've seen shows and boots on the debris field. When the stern landed, is it possible for there to be bodies in the stern wreck? Sorry for the confusion

At that depth and with the stern section fully open to the intense water pressure, I believe bodies would be squashed beyond recognition. Effects of prolonged exposure to sea water would follow but I am not an expert about that.

At that depth and with the stern section fully open to the intense water pressure, I believe bodies would be squashed beyond recognition. Effects of prolonged exposure to sea water would follow but I am not an expert about that.
But wait then how did the shoes end up still on the bodies? Or were they still human enough to retain enough structure to keep the shoes on?

But wait then how did the shoes end up still on the bodies? Or were they still human enough to retain enough structure to keep the shoes on?
Not sure what you mean. The bodies recovered - eg Purser McElroy - were wearing life jackets and so did not sink with the ship. As for any shoes and such found at the wreck site, they would have been on their own ie not related to body parts. Shoes and boots even when worn by those victims who went down with the ship were not water tight and would have filled with water quickly during the sinking. That meant that the footwear themselves would not have suffered pressure effects, only that of prolonged exposure to sea water.

I know about boots from personal experience. I am a retired scuba diver and we use neoprene boots that are a bit more water tight than ordinary ones. Despite that, in dives exceeding 35 metres some seepage into the boots occurred by the end of the dive.

Not sure what you mean. The bodies recovered - eg Purser McElroy - were wearing life jackets and so did not sink with the ship. As for any shoes and such found at the wreck site, they would have been on their own ie not related to body parts. Shoes and boots even when worn by those victims who went down with the ship were not water tight and would have filled with water quickly during the sinking. That meant that the footwear themselves would not have suffered pressure effects, only that of prolonged exposure to sea water.

I know about boots from personal experience. I am a retired scuba diver and we use neoprene boots that are a bit more water tight than ordinary ones. Despite that, in dives exceeding 35 metres some seepage into the boots occurred by the end of the dive.
Oh ok thanks. And you being a Retired scuba diver is awesome!! I bet you found a job that didn’t feel like a job because it was fun, huh?

"Assuming it took about a minute after the stern sank for, say, Cabin #181 to flood, what would be the experience of someone trapped in that cabin and remaining conscious? "
From what I read it would have been quick. I forget the documentary name but in it they had engineers who calculated the spaces would have imploded around 300' or so below the surface. Wouldn't have taken much time at all to hit 300' . Unless they knew how to equalize pressure their eardrums would have burst rather quickly. Then rapid decompression it would have been over quick. Kind of a morbid topic. Hollywood had another solution..remember Goliath Awaits? Entertaining but total fantasy. Cheers.
how would you equalize the pressure? how long would you last if it didn't flood until impact, theoretically?

how would you equalize the pressure? how long would you last if it didn't flood until impact, theoretically?
I was talking about equalizing pressure in your ear drums. You simply pinch your nose closed and gently try to blow air out thru your nose. It will pressurize the inside of your ears to match the pressure from the water on your ear drums. Everybody is a little different but in my case when diving I have to do it about every 10 feet of depth I go down. The reverse of that when ascending for me is to simply work my jawbone back and forth and swallow. If you can't equalize you'll soon know it as it can become painful. Its basically getting your ears to pop when you change altitude. If you were in a sealed compartment you would last until it imploded or you ran out of breathable air. If your interested you can scan the article below. I got certified to dive back in the early 70's. A lot has changed in diving since then so I don't know what they teach these days. Cheers.

Last edited:
I was talking about equalizing pressure in your ear drums. You simply pinch your nose closed and gently try to blow air out thru your nose. It will pressurize the inside of your ears to match the pressure from the water on your ear drums. Everybody is a little different but in my case when diving I have to do it about every 10 feet of depth I go down. The reverse of that when ascending for me is to simply work my jawbone back and forth and swallow. If you can't equalize you'll soon know it as it can become painful. Its basically getting your ears to pop when you change altitude. If you were in a sealed compartment you would last until it imploded or you ran out of breathable air. If your interested you can scan the article below. I got certified to dive back in the early 70's. A lot has changed in diving since then so I don't know what they teach these days. Cheers.
Thanks. It’s super cool you got to dive. Did you ever want to dive to the Britannic?

Back