Peuchen is this true

Ah, okay thanks. Had they been available that night, the passengers and crew probably would have gotten a lot of use out of them.

Oy! I can only imagine what a time Peuchen had with Hitchens! And to think that his (Peuchen's) reputation and career suffered because he was more or less ordered into the boat by Lightoller (and he had the order in writing)!

On the subject of knives, it's always seemed strange to me that many of the seamen dealing with the lifeboats clearly didn't have one and had to call for pocket knives or razors from passengers. Was this once essential item of equipment no longer regarded as a tool of the trade, at least for emergency and accident situations?

>> Was this once essential item of equipment no longer regarded as a tool of the trade, at least for emergency and accident situations?<<

Good question. I never had a lot of use for one since my rating seldom took me out on deck, but I always had one anyway. You just never knew when you would need it. In retrospect, it's amazing that a lot of the AB's...who of all people should have known better...forgot to bring their knives to the party.

Peuchen had a terrible time with Hichens that night, but unfortunately his conduct would be judged almost as bad as Hichens'. Later, at the inquiry Peuchen would express his disdain for Hichens' conduct.

Even though he had a document to prove that he was ordered into the lifeboat by Lightoller, his social standing and reputation were ruined, which is really the sad part of it all. I must correct you though Jonathan, his career was not affected, as he was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel shortly after the disaster.

Peuchen's brother-in-law, Thomas Home, was spared the ordeal though, by being delayed and unable to sail on Titanic, although Fate caught up with him, like Alfred Vanderbilt, later on Lusitania- which Home survived. I hope he stayed off ships ever after.

Concerning knives and the lack thereof, the deck crew signed articles in which they were forbidden to carry knives (and other weapons) without the express permission of the master. In 1912 there was very little call for ropework and the old skills of the sailing ship men were being forgotten. Appearances were more important. Also, sailors were no angels and it was felt safer to disarm them.

There would have been plenty of knives in the bosun's store but the bosun went missing. I don't know where his store was, but it may have been near the crew's quarters and hence soon flooded. There were several places marked 'store' right in the bows from the orlop deck orlop to deck D. Maybe one contained the bosun's store.

>> In 1912 there was very little call for ropework and the old skills of the sailing ship men were being forgotten.<<

A pity it worked out that way. A lot of skills were lost going from sail to steam, and it would seem that good old fashioned marlinspoke seamanship is one of them. For the most part, they're seldom needed, but when they are needed, they're needed pretty desperately. A number of people I've exchanged notes with over the years look down on the "Old Ways" as no longer needed, but they seem to forget that sometimes, the machines just don't work. U.S Naval practice among other things holds that quartermasters and anyone else in the navigation team be able to do work using sextants, star charts, stopwatchs, and logerithms and there's a reason for this.

SINS, GPS, LORAN and the like is great, but if it all goes toes up for some reason, you better be able to do it the hard way. If you can't, you're screwed!

Jason, this is all there is in the clipping on Tom Home, his quote, he was born in Coburg, Ontario, and that he worked for G. Goulding and Sons, was married to Mabel and had three children-" When she heeled over, I slid down to B. deck and at the last cry, " she is sinking " I plunged into the sea and was sucked down in the seething waters and the whirling mass of struggling people and whirling wreckage. " Maybe you can look for a fuller interview in Canadian papers.

I also have a question about Major Peuchen: it is stated that, during the 1920s "....for the last four years of his life (he) lived in his company dormitory in Hinton, Alberta....".
Was this a Western Canada post for the Queen's Own Rifles?
Or was it former headquarters/regional offices for "...Standard Chemical Company (1897-1914), one of the first in the world to manufacture acetone (used to make explosives) from wood....".

It was also stated "...He also owned large forest reserves near Hinton, Alberta....". Did Major Peuchen have a living quarters near there?

I have made plans to visit the Hinton and Edmonton areas next year, and would like to see where these areas are, even if they have been, since, subdivided and developed. I also need to see where I can find out listings of the former property ownership records, either for the local county, or all of Alberta.

Does anyone know the locations of these places??

I just need to convince the Mayor of Toronto to send out a "specially chosen City Delegate", to Alberta, to help me with my research.
grin.gif

Back