Peuchen's bonds and other forgotten fortunes

That is very definitely in ANTR hardcover. p67.
I'm sure it is, but I don't have a copy of the American edition hardcover, only the British edition. Perhaps it is in there somewhere, I will have to go through it.

But I would like to know if there is ANY survivor source, inquiry testimony ir interview, where someone said anything about ladies asking McElroy about their jewelry after the accident.
I personally haven't come across any accounts from first class ladies, referencing that. But I'll do some searching when I can get to it, unless someone can shed some light on ithis.

As mentioned, that encounter Etches had with McElroy would have been around 12:40 am. Etches himself then went to the boat deck, saw Lifeboat #7 lowered and himself left the Titanic on Lifeboat #5 at about 12:48 am. Therefore, IF that ANTR comment about McElroy's quip to the Countess of Rothes was true, it must have occurred a few minutes later while the latter was on her way to board Lifeboat #8; that was lowered at about 01:00 am, the first one on the port side.
That would make sense, if in fact it did occur.

I don't have a copy of the American edition hardcover, only the British edition
My Hardcover copy of ANTR is a revised illustrated edition first published in 1976 by Allen Lane under Penguin Books of London. It is in P67, which is the 4th page of the chapter "God Himself could Not Sink This Ship".

My copy is personally signed for me by survivor Millvina Dean :)

My Hardcover copy of ANTR is a revised illustrated edition first published in 1976 by Allen Lane under Penguin Books of London. It is in P67, which is the 4th page of the chapter "God Himself could Not Sink This Ship".
I have a copy of the illustrated version as well, but mine is published by Bantam Books. I found the quote in that edition on page 67, just as you said:

"Out in the C deck foyer, Purser Herbert McElroy was urging everyone to stop standing around. As the Countess of Rothes passed, he called, 'Hurry, little lady, there is not much time. I'm glad you didn't ask me for your jewels as some ladies have.'"

So this appears to back up your statement, that this occurred just before the Countess went out onto the boat deck and boarded Lifeboat #8.

My copy is personally signed for me by survivor Millvina Dean
Very cool! My paperback copy of ANTR is signed by Millvina. That and two other books she signed for me. :)

Back