Pronunciation of Millet

In several of the threads about Millet, folks have asked how his name was pronounced. Each time, Shelley Dziedzic has advised that "it is pronounced like the cereal grain with the accent on the first syllable to rhyme with skillet!"

Shelley is, of course, correct, and I've now come across a contemporary reference to the same effect. The following is an excerpt from an article that appeared in The Washington Times on 16 April 1912:

One of the most practical men of his profession, his practicability was carried out at all times. A fair example of this is shown in the pronunciation of his name. He always insisted that the combination of letters which composed his name spelled “millet,” with the accent on the first syllable and the final letter sounded, and strenuously objected to the French pronunciation being given it.

Won't be easy, Ing. I had the same problem. So does Hyacinth Bucket.
wink.gif

Lol, Bob! 'Boo-KAY residence...the Lady of the House speaking...'

Reminds me of a story Lincoln used to love telling about a statesman who was called upon to arbitrate between disputing representatives from Illinois. One side insisted it was pronounced 'Ill-a-noy', the other that it was 'Ill-a-noise'. Statesman gave a satirical smile and replied that, to judge by the representatives in the chamber, it should be pronounced 'All-Noise'.

What's in a name? I was dressed down by an official recently as to the pronounciation of Teddy Roosevelt's name-always thinking it was Roo-ze-veldt
and being told in no uncertain terms it is Rose-e-velt. I won't tell you what most people do to my surname-it might alarm the children and horses.

Back