Psychic/spiritual stances on the sinking

Sarah S

Hello everyone,

Have any survivors ever believed this disaster was an act of God or were there those who rejected rational reasoning for this fatal outcome? Like were there survivors who believed in a „supernatural“ connection regarding the Titanic?
I know Lightoller himself owed his own survival as from God. Not sure how he viewed the disaster itself.

Have there also been stories of survivors getting something like a „religious awakening“ because of their survival?

I hope this question is alright.

Have any survivors ever believed this disaster was an act of God or were there those who rejected rational reasoning for this fatal outcome?

Actually, that question is impossible to answer.

If one, whether a Titanic survivor or anyone else, is a true believer in God, then it is completely justified in he/she thinking that absolutely everything that happens - good, bad or neutral - is an Act of God. That includes the ability to think rationally.

If one, whether a Titanic survivor or anyone else, is a true believer in God, then it is completely justified in he/she thinking that absolutely everything that happens - good, bad or neutral - is an Act of God. That includes the ability to think rationally.

With that question I was wondering if survivors have been vocal about attributing the sinking to supernatural meanings. I know they still can think rationally as well.

I believe that some crew believed that the Titanic's serial number - 390904 - when read backwards said a distorted version of "NO POPE". Whether that story is a myth or if not there were any surviving crew who thought the same, I don't know.

I believe that some crew believed that the Titanic's serial number - 390904 - when read backwards said a distorted version of "NO POPE". Whether that story is a myth or if not there were any surviving crew who thought the same, I don't know.

I never heard of this before. I wonder if this is true

A true believer in Jesus Christ, believes this:
God always wants what is best for us.
All things good are from God.
All things bad are of Satan.
God gives us free will and a free choice.When we make bad choices he allows us to suffer the consequences.
He also allows us to confess our bad choices and he offers forgiveness and restoration but we have to be 100% sincere and remorseful.
This is my interpretation and personal experience.

If I recall correctly, there were some passengers who had a 'bad feeling' about the ship in one way or another during its voyage. The first thing that comes to mind is the story of 2nd Class Passenger Nora Keane, who told her roomates that she had a hunch that the ship would sink because she accidentally dropped her rosary and prayer book into the sea whilst boarding.
Other than that, I can't think of any survivor who became religious as a result of the disaster (excluding Lightoller, of course). I can't really say that I've read of any survivor deeming the whole affair as an act of God, either, but religious metaphors about the arrogance of man didn't take all that long to develop.

Back