RAISE THE LUSITANIA

Hey,
As i myself have never travelled to down to the wreck of the Lusitania, but will always dream of it, i was wondering if it was possible to raise the bow section, as from what i've seen it pictures is the best "intact" part of the ship left. I would like to hear the thoughts of those who have visited her. Is it possible?
And also, can you visit the Lusitania by sub?

"i was wondering if it was possible to raise the bow section, as from what i've seen it pictures is the best "intact" part of the ship left."

Looks can be deceiving. Besides having been on the seafloor for close to 90 years, she's half her original beam. The hull has compressed over time, not to mention what happened to the decks as a result. Plus, there are holes and other damage from depth charges, to say nothing of the crumpled forepeak.

At any rate, you're talking about an object that still weighs thousands of tons.

"And also, can you visit the Lusitania by sub?"

Lusitania's been visited by sub and divers many times.

Adam

The Lusitania is covered with fishing nets which make it difficult to visit the wreck. Also, the nets might entangle with the big subs to bring tourists etc. to the wreck.

I remeber around 1982 when they 1st started recovering artifacts from the Lusitania there was a lot of interest from the Liverpool press about cameras been set up on the full length of the hull and these pictures could be viewed from the Liverpool Maritme Museum- does anyone know what happened to those plans??

Cliff

Matt,

I don't know of any tours of the wreck by sub, but I do know you can reach the wreck in SCUBA gear if you are a professional as the ship is only in about 580 - 600 feet of water. As for artifacts, I believe the same goes for the Lusitania as the Titanic - it is treated as a grave site and artifact recovery is not generally permitted or encouraged.

Thanks.

Brian

Matt,

Replying to your first post, this question holds as much interest with the Lusitania as it does with the Titanic, but unfortunately both ships can never be raised. The shallow water environment in which the Lusitania rests combined with the rich marine life and the fact that she was used a target for depth charge testing in WWI have deteriorated her hull severely, that and the fact that she collapsed in on herself does not help. If you attempted to raise the Lusitania I can reckon that the even the so-called "intact" parts of the ship would begin disintegrate and break up as soon as the cranes began to hoist. Though it would make a remarkable memorial if it could be done.

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi, Brian:

Yes, scuba divers can reach the wreck, but it lies at only about 300, not 600. The shallowest dive to her port side is about 255-260.

The reason no artifacts have been recovered since 1982 is because ownership of the wreck was in question and wasn't determined until a few years ago. Then, shortly after, a Heritage Order was placed on the wreck, which does not allow any dives or salvage without the permission of the Irish government because she lies within their twelve-mile limit.

The wreck is definitely not considered a grave site although Titanic has been deemed by some as such. The Heritage Order has nothing whatsoever to do with that. The Irish were simply trying to protect their interest in the possible discovery a while ago of some important paintings that were on board.

Eric Sauder

Hi Eric!

I am interested in the issue of ownership. I've considered Titanic's and Britannic's. All I know about the Lusitania's status is that she is owned by Greg Bemis [sic?]. I read somewhere (alas, where!) that he had a order on him so that he could be arrested if he went into a country that had signed a treaty with regard to the Estonia, since he had been involved with that wreck. However, I am not at all sure if that was accurate. Anyway, how did he get ownership of the wreck?

Best regards,

Mark.

Hi, Mark:

Sorry for the delay. I'm putting the finishing touches on a Lusitania article for Parks's site.

I'll write to you privately about the ownership issue as soon as I can.

Eric

Eric, are these the Sir Hugh Lane paintings? I was under the impression that their condition would be such that they were of no value whatsoever.

Good job for you Eric that the Heritage Order was slapped on - now there is little chance of anyone seeing the "Eric was here" message you scrawled on the superstructure during your dive!

Geoff

Hi, Geoff:

I've heard a lot of different stories about how well the paintings may be preserved depending on who you talk to and what their cut of the take might be! From what I know about what went on before, during, and after that 1994 expedition, I don't believe the paintings were found.

As for that "Eric was here" sign, I've got a photo if you want to see it! But, boy, was it hard to get the spray paint to work at that depth! :)

Eric

Just for a reference: "Exploring The Lusitania" by Robert Ballard is a very interesting book, and for those who don't have it, i suggest if you are interested in her you buy it. It goes right from her planning to going down and Exploring her today....has some great Then And Now photos and some great paintings! Cheers.

Concerning the ownership issue, etc., I read an article in an Irish national daily newspaper - "Irish Examiner" on Friday last, 21st November 2003, that Gregg Bemis has taken a case against the Irish Government to grant him a licence to dive on the Lusitania. He has made a number of applications to get permission to carry out diving and exploratory work, but has been refused on each occasion. The case is being heard in the High Court, and may take some months. Bemis himself has not attended, but has sent in an affidavit. He has stated in the affidavit that the vessel has more or less totally collapsed at this stage. Anyone with an interest can try to keep abreast of the Court case by checking out the websites of Irish National newspapers. I expect that as the matter will drag on, newspaper articles will probably appear infrequently. If anyone is interested, I can post the article I have read

Peter

Back