Reading the ship schematics

Hello all,
I am researching Titanic, going on about a month now. I have found this site one of the most comprehensive in providing information on the ship. I am, however, having some difficulty in reading the ship schematics and wonder if someone on this forum can assist. Attached is a cropped image of the Tank Top (Stern). Like the other deck plans available, this plan too has great detail but I am unable to discern this detail:

Measured width. The resources are there for the beam, but I refer to the schematics for precise width of the compartments but am unable to locate - either out of ignorance or perhaps it is not listed, the measurements. There is a horizontal line running the length, with ticks but I am unsure what this represents.

Tank-Top-stern.png
Tank-Top-stern.png

Tank-Top-stern.png

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to, but I think it's the line running straight down the center of the ship from bow to stern.

I believe the tick marks on that are the fame numbers. If I recall, they're 2 or 3 feet apart. They reach "0" (skip it, actually) just forward of Boiler room 2, and go up as they move outward toward the bow and toward the stern. Basically, every 2 or 3 feet there's a rib to help support the hull.

As Tim pointed out, center section ithe marks you refer to are the frame numbers They are numberd from the midship position + to the bow.. - to the stern. If you switch to "profile" on the plan anf page down, you will see the spacing values. The frames at midship are spaced three feet apart. You can use these as a scale.. But remember not to enlarge or reduce during any measuring process. In plan view, use the same method...

Thanks for the quick reply. What I am is confused about is how to determine the width of the hull, from port to starboard. As the plans look, the curvature begins around WT cpt ‘M’ towards the bow. This (appears) makes each subsequent section smaller (width from port to starboard) but unsure of what those are. I know the bearsth is ~90ft but that’s obviously different for the compartments closer to bow and stern.

Not sure exactly what your asking also. If the deck plans are accurate then for a single deck it seems you could use a ruler to detrmine the width. But there are so many variables. Not only does the width get narrower horizontally the further you go from amid ships to bow and stern but also top to bottom depending on the deck. But I'm just a tinkering mechanic so I could be off base here. You might find some info your looking for at the link below on measurements of Titanics width if you haven't already seen it. Its from Mr. Read. Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. What I am is confused about is how to determine the width of the hull, from port to starboard. As the plans look, the curvature begins around WT cpt ‘M’ towards the bow. This (appears) makes each subsequent section smaller (width from port to starboard) but unsure of what those are. I know the bearsth is ~90ft but that’s obviously different for the compartments closer to bow and stern.
The problem is that you do not have cross section plans. The existing plans hereon will only give you beam at deck (or deck head level) level for each deck. If you are constructing a cross section at any point, I suggest you do so at a WT bulkhead, using the same scale and guessing the curve of the ship side. The vertical distance between decks and horizontal distance between bulkheads can be taken from the profile plan.

As Tim pointed out, center section ithe marks you refer to are the frame numbers They are numberd from the midship position + to the bow.. - to the stern. If you switch to "profile" on the plan anf page down, you will see the spacing values. The frames at midship are spaced three feet apart. You can use these as a scale.. But remember not to enlarge or reduce during any measuring process. In plan view, use the same method...
Interesting, so that is what was throwing me off the extra 4" (meters - feet). Thank you very much.

I posted a bit ago inquiring on determining the measurements, specificaly the perpendicular line that runs across the middle of each deck plan (overhead). I was told that the gap betwee marks represents roughtly three feet.

Given that, I have worked meticulously on a Minecraft titanic version that is as true as possible to the design. I wanted to inquire on a process I am utilizing and if it (in community opinion) meets truthiness.

Attached are two screenshots. After purchasing the deckplans, I utilized Photoshop to apply measurements and grids. I adjusted the parameters of grid overlay so as to mirror what amounts to a minecraft block (note, note minecraft dimensions, which is assumed to be 3m=1blk). That said, in the first image you can see I have highlighted a three-sqare area between the perpendicular line noted above.

With this, I presume the measurements for each square to be equal to one foot, as three fit within said open space.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

For demonstration, I have included a second image, of Nos 1 &2 Boiler Casing. If I am using the noted gridlie established, then the true dimensions of the area between the fidleys should be: 21’ x 25’ (WxL). Likewise, dome over lounge (Compass Platform): 13’ x 23’.

Thus, for my project - where one block = 1ft (based on the established grid), the number of blocks would also be 21x25 (boiler casing). Is this accurate?
GridLines_TitanicBoatDeck.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.56.26 PM.png

I posted a bit ago inquiring on determining the measurements, specificaly the perpendicular line that runs across the middle of each deck plan (overhead). I was told that the gap betwee marks represents roughtly three feet.

Given that, I have worked meticulously on a Minecraft titanic version that is as true as possible to the design. I wanted to inquire on a process I am utilizing and if it (in community opinion) meets truthiness.

Attached are two screenshots. After purchasing the deckplans, I utilized Photoshop to apply measurements and grids. I adjusted the parameters of grid overlay so as to mirror what amounts to a minecraft block (note, note minecraft dimensions, which is assumed to be 3m=1blk). That said, in the first image you can see I have highlighted a three-sqare area between the perpendicular line noted above.

With this, I presume the measurements for each square to be equal to one foot, as three fit within said open space.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

For demonstration, I have included a second image, of Nos 1 &2 Boiler Casing. If I am using the noted gridlie established, then the true dimensions of the area between the fidleys should be: 21’ x 25’ (WxL). Likewise, dome over lounge (Compass Platform): 13’ x 23’.

Thus, for my project - where one block = 1ft (based on the established grid), the number of blocks would also be 21x25 (boiler casing). Is this accurate?View attachment 49646View attachment 49647

The the majority of numbered vertical lines which are frame locations are 3 ft. apart. However at the ends of the ship the frame spacing gets smaller. In your first photo the squares look to be less than 1 ft. square. It doesn’t look like a lot there but with a ship that is 882 ft. 9 in. LOA, your errors will multiply. The only solution I can see is to resize your plan to match your grid exactly.

Good point @Bob_Read

I believe I have it measured correctly - unsure if you can see the actual grid-lines - the marked locations were adjusted during highlight.

On a related note. Are you (or anyone reading this) familiar with or know how I may gather heights of specfic structures. That seems vague so I will say that I am trying to get the height of the Reciprocating Engine Cover (Boat Deck) as well as the Aft Dome Cover.

The British report does provide information on heights of decks, smokestacks, etc. but from both the report and plans (as well as limited Google skills), I have been unable to get heights for some things. Perhaps it is on the Profile but I am unable to discern.

Good point @Bob_Read

I believe I have it measured correctly - unsure if you can see the actual grid-lines - the marked locations were adjusted during highlight.

On a related note. Are you (or anyone reading this) familiar with or know how I may gather heights of specfic structures. That seems vague so I will say that I am trying to get the height of the Reciprocating Engine Cover (Boat Deck) as well as the Aft Dome Cover.

The British report does provide information on heights of decks, smokestacks, etc. but from both the report and plans (as well as limited Google skills), I have been unable to get heights for some things. Perhaps it is on the Profile but I am unable to discern.

The profile and cross section plans are going to be the most useful for determining the exact heights of certain features. Your method for measuring the size of areas on the deck plans should apply to the profile diagram as well- but in most cases the profile has a slightly different scale from the decks and its worth verifying your measurements are correct by referencing the frames again.

With regard to the cross section plans you can find many of them here- most useful will probably be the Reciprocating Engine and Steam Turbine prints as their height can be referenced against the decks:

Finally, as someone fairly familiar with building scale models of the ship in Minecraft, I've always operated under the official Mojang measurement of 1 block = 1 cubic meter.
This makes a true 1:1 scale exceedingly limiting, so most seriously detailed builds are in a range from 1.5:1 up to 3:1. Using this system however, an 882 block long ship is roughly equivalent to a scale of 3.2:1.

Obviously its possible to build such a model, and many have- with the largest attempted ship to date being in a scale of 7:1 still under construction. It is worth noting however that even such a scale as 1.5:1 is a serious time commitment (around a year and a half solo for me)- and if you intend to research and build the entire interior as a solo-job in 3.2:1 then I truly wish you the best of luck and godspeed.

Back