Reading up on the Big Fitz Edmund Fitzgerald

I'd love to see those photos u have. I have photos and drawings on these sites if you are interested. Also most drawings r for sale too.
Smile - One place for all your family's photos
Smile - One place for all your family's photos

The Fitz is not a AAA class boat. The AAA class boats are as follows with new names and owners; Arthur M. Anderson, Cason J. Callaway, Phillip R. Clarke built for US Steel, sailing for Great Lakes Fleet, Reserve (currently barged-James Kuber/Lower Lakes Towing), Armco (currently American Valor/American Steamship) built for Oglebay Norton , William Clay Ford (now scrapped) built for Ford Motor Company, J.L. Mauthe (currently barged-Pathfinder) built for Interlake Steamship, and Edward B Greene (currently Kaye E Barker/Interlake Steamship) built for Cleveland Cliffs

My dad (who worked for the Chicago Northwestern Railroad, having started there in 1967) personally knew the railroad agent at Duluth who required the signature on the invoice for the iron ore the Fitzgerald took on before she sailed, and sank, making him the last person to see the crew alive. His testimony was that the Fitzgerald was recklessly overloaded, by at least 3000 tons.

Back