Red lights on the ship

Duck_Dur

Edward
Hello all,
Can anyone please explain the general background of the red lights on the Titanic, I have a few questions

1. Were the lights turned on during the sinking?
2. Where were the red lights located
3. How were the powered did they have their own dynamo room or were they just connected to the main dynamo room
4. Can you see any lights to this day or is there any photos of any

Many thanks,

There was a red light on the bridge wing on the port side. There were two red lights on the foremast. They would have been powered by the ship's generators. The one on the bridge wing was on at all times during the night and would have been on during the sinking. The two on the foremast were used if the ship was not under control. Presumably they should have been on during the sinking, but I've never seen evidence that they were. The lights would have been smashed in the sinking. I know of no really good photos of the lights. They were quite small and commonplace.

Duck_Dur, look at the Titanic as being analogous to the community you live in. You don't have a separate generator for each home or business. Everyone is supplied by a central generator. Each home is on its own circuit coming from the main line, and each home has multiple circuits for various areas and appliances, and some of the larger appliances would have their own circuit. Lighting for safety on the Titanic would be on its own circuit, and there may have been a backup circuit for redundancy, depending on what the powers that be at Harland and Wolff thought necessary..

Sorry this was badly worded and I meant to say “weren’t there lights at key stairwells and wasn’t their a separate generator for those lights?”
There were emergency lights that ran on the emergency generator. From the link below:
"Emergency lamps on distinct circuits, deriving current from the emergency dynamos, are placed at intervals in all the passages, public rooms, and compartments throughout the vessel, so that, in the unlikely event of an entire extinction of the ordinary lighting, there would still be illumination available at all the points where the passengers and crew would congregate. In fact, anyone could find their way from one end of the vessel to the other at night by means of the lights on these circuits."

Back