Rev. Robert J. Bateman

I am trying to find out more information about Reverend Robert James Bateman who perished on the Titanic as I may be related to him(my great-great uncle?). From what I am told from relatives, my great-grandfather Richard James Bateman was born in 1865 in Kent, England. My great-grandfathers' decendants lived in Bromely which is where Ada Ball (Hall), who survived the sinking, is from as was her sister Emily (Rev. Bateman's wife). A late 1800's census showed a "Charles Bateman" (Rev. Bateman's dad's name) in my great-great-grandfathers home and was perhaps listed as a "brother to the head of the house".

I am anxious to find out more. My brother mentions a 1891 censius which was not available when he was in England and may be now. And I wonder if anyone has a picture of Rev. Bateman? Thanks!

My Great Grandfather, 2nd class passenger Rev. Robert J. Bateman. Died in the sinking, and was accompanying Ms. Ada Balls who survived.

I've attached a photograph, history unknown of Rev. Bateman that has been in the family for some time.

Harvey Myers IV
Clearwater Beach, Florida

80174.jpg

Mr Myers,

Thank you very much for providing this
forum with a fantastic image of your Titanic
ancestor. I have seen newspaper quality images
of Reverend Bateman, but never one so clear.
I visited his gravesite with my mother in
1992 and paid our respects at that time. I
found it interesting that his gravestone
and his actual burial spot are in two
different sections.
I hope you will consider telling us more
of your great-grandfather in the future.

Kind Regards,

Brian Meister

Dear Harvey,

Delighted to see you posting on ET! We corresponded some years back regading your Great Grandfather, during which you very kindly scanned me a copy of the above image. Through my research into the clergy aboard Titanic, I have been very fortunate to obtain (eventually) images of all nine ill-fated ministers, of which Revd. Bateman's is by far the most clear.

I also have a photograph of the grave to which Bateman visited on his last journey to Bristol. A fascinating character.

Best Regards,

Ben Holme

Wonderful to hear from you Mr Meister, I hope to visit that grave and marker soon, I still have a lot to learn about both of my ancestors. I understand, especially after reading the work done by Mr. Ben Holme, that he performed some valuable services and was well remembered by people in Jacksonville at that time. I'm guessing it drew a crowd.

And Ben, it is just great to be back in contact with you, I'm trying to dig up my copy of your work, i misplaced it somewhere, have you mentioned that or posted any of that here, which actually brings up a point, my mother is the one with the direct knowledge, having known Ada Balls early in her life. I would be glad to relay any message or question about Ada Balls or Rev. Robert J. Batemen to her. Mom (Betty Jane Bateman Myers) is a very young 80 years old.

Warm Regards,

Harvey Myers

It's long been family lore and there are postings that support as well as not, the idea that 2nd Class Passenger Rev Robert J. Bateman, my Great-Grandfather, led the band or requested the famous rendition of the song "Nearer My God to Thee" during the final moments of the sinking.
He was the Pastor of the Cross City Mission in Jacksonville, Florida at the time, and had a reputation for saving souls of the most downtrodden in that era, and so it's hard to imagine him not being involved in some way.

I offer this link in support of this theory but am really impressed by the collective knowledge and insight of this group and hope to learn more from you.

http://cowart.info/Monthly%20Features/Titanic%204%20web/Bateman%204%20web.htm

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the same passenger. MAB]

Hello Robert, It seems that long periods go by between visits. I hope you receive this message. I would certainly like to talk to you further about our common ancestor and family. Always have more questions than answers it seems.

Dear Harvey
I am trying to locate all known relatives of your great grandfather. Would you happen to know their whereabouts?
best wishes
Nick Aarons
Gosh Nick, I had lost my login and had't visited for years, trying to pick the ball up again. I have a number of relatives with input including some connected thru this site. I also touched bases with his family from Bristol but hvae to dig those connections back up again. I will do my best to remain active and watch for your response, so pleas write back if you can.

It's been a while since anybody posted on here, but after looking at a family tree a family member has done, it appears I am (albeit loosely) related to Rev. Bateman too. Assuming it is all correct, he is my 2nd cousin, something like 4 times removed on my father's side. My maiden name was Iles and I was born in Bristol - a relatively common surname in Bristol it would seem.

My Great Grandfather, 2nd class passenger Rev. Robert J. Bateman. Died in the sinking, and was accompanying Ms. Ada Balls who survived.

I've attached a photograph, history unknown of Rev. Bateman that has been in the family for some time.

Harvey Myers IV
Clearwater Beach, Florida

View attachment 30209
He is my great, great, great grandfather... my grandmother is Sheena Bateman, he has been on my family tree for a long time. My name is Faith Doyle, my grandma's maiden name is Bateman but my grandfathers last name is Doyle. I have heard from my grandma, auntie and uncle that he is my great, great, great grandad. I find it weird that I have never heard of any of you, if you have been trying to get in contact with his family in Bristol then strange that none of us has heard a peep from any of you. I currently live in Bristol and so does my grandma aunt and uncle. We have a few photos of him and you can definitely see the family resemblance, i am only 16 though... but if you wish to contact me then I can leave an email. Thanks, found it intetesting reading all of this.
@[email protected]

I am trying to find out more information about Reverend Robert James Bateman who perished on the Titanic as I may be related to him(my great-great uncle?). From what I am told from relatives, my great-grandfather Richard James Bateman was born in 1865 in Kent, England. My great-grandfathers' decendants lived in Bromely which is where Ada Ball (Hall), who survived the sinking, is from as was her sister Emily (Rev. Bateman's wife). A late 1800's census showed a "Charles Bateman" (Rev. Bateman's dad's name) in my great-great-grandfathers home and was perhaps listed as a "brother to the head of the house".

I am anxious to find out more. My brother mentions a 1891 censius which was not available when he was in England and may be now. And I wonder if anyone has a picture of Rev. Bateman? Thanks!

Hello,

I had a great aunt who was quite active in her church in Baltimore, Maryland. She had a photo of Rev, Bateman with Mr. House. On the back she had written "Lost on Titanic". I was always fascinated by her old pictures, especially this one. I think it sparked my interest in Titanic. My great aunt was about 19 years old when the Titanic sank. Sunk? LOL. She claimed that the Reverend was visiting her church and that's how she ended up with the photo. Unfortunately, I passed the photo on to the Titanic Museum in Massachusetts. I will attach a copy. I believe he is the gentleman on the right--looking at photo.

Attachments

• DSC00449.JPG
    DSC00449.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC00450.JPG
    DSC00450.JPG
    604.4 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Back