RMS Titanic The 100th Anniversary Collection

Well I'm planning ahead and working a series of paintings in preparation for April 15th, 2012; the date of the 100th Anniversary of the ship's sinking. In addition to the series, I'm learning the music from the White Star Line songbook for piano.

Art...Music....all I need is the First Class Menu and I'm in business!

The first one I completed at beginning of this month depicts the Titanic and her sister ship Olympic (right) under construction at the Harland & Wolff shipping yard.

207831.jpg

Next, we have White Star Line president J. Bruce Ismay and the director of Harland & Wolff, Lord William Pirrie, conceiving the plans for the Olympic-class ships at Pirrie's Downshire House.

207834.jpg

The Titanic was launched on May 31st, 2011. (Incidentally, the last survivor of Titanic would die on this same date 98 years later). Contrary to popular belief, Titanic was not christened with a bottle of champagne. Though spectacular, the launch was a rather sober event.
208426.jpg

The iceberg was a fragment from a glacier that broke away from Greenland. While nobody knows how the berg exactly looked like, it was described by a crewman as resembling a blue mountain shaped like the Rock of Gibraltar.

208429.jpg

Some more. (Keep in mind, I won't be posting ALL the pictures. There must be some surprise later on...)
A stately portrait of the great ship at sea.

208437.jpg

This is the reception area for the A la Carte Restaurant on B-deck. Here, you can see the Astors having coffee in the foreground, while a cellist from the orchestra performs.

208438.jpg

1.Titanic & Olympic at Harland & Wolff
2.Ismay & Pirrie at Downshire House
3.Triple Screw Propellers
4.Before the Launch
5.Birth of a Berg
6.Titanic Rules the Waves
7.Restaurant Reception
8.Captain's Cubby
9.A Turkish Delight
10.The Swimming Pool
11.Strauss' Suite (C-55)
12.Lady Duff Gordon's Cabin (A-20)
13. Helene Baxter's Suite (B-58.)
14. A Touch of Mal de Mer
15. Verandah Palm Court
16. Cafe Parisian
17. Third Class Berth
18. Second Class Cabin
19. First Class Elevator
20. Approaching Cherbourg
21. The Engine Room
22. The Marconi Room
23. The Squash Court

NEXT UP

24. Ismay's Suite (B-52)

Two more, completing my preview of the first ten paintings.

The Turkish Bath Complex was located on F-deck. It's most prominent feature was a Moorish Cooling Room where one may refresh after using the swimming pool and steam baths. Here you can see Ms. Maude Slocombe attending to the first class ladies.

208536.jpg

Titanic was one of the first ships to boast such an invigorating luxury as a swimming bath for first class passengers. Here, you see 17-year old Jack Thayer preparing to dive. Master Thayer was an excellent swimmer; a skill that proved useful later in the voyage.

208537.jpg

Back