Rose Icard

You are correct Arun.

The musicians playing until the water swept the boat deck is one of the more (if not the most) romantic, bittersweet legends of the Titanic but no matter how much people like to believe that it happened just so, it simply doesn't gel with the facts.

A while ago a pal of mine who is a cello player was thumbing through my copy of "On A Sea of Glass" and was looking up information regarding the band. He agreed with the authors that it in the freezing cold night air it would have been murder on ones fingers playing an instrument in temperatures of that kind for so long.

The incline of the deck at some point would also surely have made it impractical for Hartley and his men to continue.

File under the same category as - (i) the engineers all stayed in the engine room until the very end, (ii) the mail clerks all drowned trying to save bags of mail, (iii) Captain Smith's last words being "Be British boys, be British !" (that's like something General Melchett from Blackadder Goes Forth would say - it's that stupid), (iv) Charles Joughin being "the drunk baker". All complete nonsense.

These kind of tales may make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside but the evidence tells a very different story.
"These kind of tales may make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside but the evidence tells a very different story."
They make dramatic movie scenes too. But the "be British" quote seemed to be even too much for Cameron in his movie. Unless I'm remembering wrong. Been like 9 years now since I've seen it.

"These kind of tales may make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside but the evidence tells a very different story."
They make dramatic movie scenes too. But the "be British" quote seemed to be even too much for Cameron in his movie. Unless I'm remembering wrong. Been like 9 years now since I've seen it.
Nah, it's not in the film.

The "Be British" legend was just a silly jingoistic thing that newspapers throughout the British Empire created to back up the national myth (and it is a myth) of British stoicism and playing the game and all that rubbish. A national myth that subsequently died a few years later in the mud and rain of Loos, the Somme, Arras and Passchendaele.

Cameron's whole portrayal of Smith wandering around like a lost, defeated old man doesn't square with the evidence though. For reasons that are unclear, Don Lynch (JC's historical advisor) still to this day seems welded to this false idea of Smith being a passive, silent figure during the evacuation which he most certainly was not.

Nah, it's not in the film.

The "Be British" legend was just a silly jingoistic thing that newspapers throughout the British Empire created to back up the national myth (and it is a myth) of British stoicism and playing the game and all that rubbish. A national myth that subsequently died a few years later in the mud and rain of Loos, the Somme, Arras and Passchendaele.

Cameron's whole portrayal of Smith wandering around like a lost, defeated old man doesn't square with the evidence though. For reasons that are unclear, Don Lynch (JC's historical advisor) still to this day seems welded to this false idea of Smith being a passive, silent figure during the evacuation which he most certainly was not.
Yes some of the stories were made up. That's pretty obvious. I could see him giving the command at the end about "you've done your duty, every man for himself or however it went. As for the "myth" of the stoicism and all that the only thing I would comment about that is that I thought the way the British people handled WW2, the Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, the Blitz, D-day, ect. was pretty impressive. Of course that might have just have been a generational thing. Probably get a different response today. Cheers.

Yes some of the stories were made up. That's pretty obvious. I could see him giving the command at the end about "you've done your duty, every man for himself or however it went. As for the "myth" of the stoicism and all that the only thing I would comment about that is that I thought the way the British people handled WW2, the Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, the Blitz, D-day, ect. was pretty impressive. Of course that might have just have been a generational thing. Probably get a different response today. Cheers.
I could see him giving the command at the end about "you've done your duty, every man for himself or however it went.

Smith may have said something to that effect during his final appearance in the wireless cabin c02:00-02:05, although some historians are suspicious of Harold Bride's testimony because of the many inconsistencies his separate accounts contain.

There is some evidence from three or four men tending to Collapsible A (just before the water swept over the forward boat deck) about the Captain's "final words". They recalled that Smith came over to them and quite calmly said (he did not shout or scream) words to the effect of "Well boys, do your best for the women and children and look out for yourselves.". The witnesses don't agree on the exact wording but the sentiment was basically the same. All in all, it wasn't really the stirring stuff the papers wanted was it ?

As for the "myth" of the stoicism and all that the only thing I would comment about that is that I thought the way the British people handled WW2, the Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, the Blitz, D-day, ect. was pretty impressive.

Well broadly speaking it was but it was also an unspeakably miserable, bleak time. Not everyone was as united and willing to put differences aside and make sacrifices as popular legend would have it. There was a lot of simmering political unrest as well, including the armed forces. My elder folks certainly did not look back on the war with any kind of nostalgia.

Which brings us back to RMS Titanic.

All this stuff about:
  • Captain Smith's last words supposedly being patriotic and stoic (rather a well meant but still rather feeble final encouragement to his men. Nothing special)
  • Every one of the engineers all still gallantly at their posts down in the engine room as the ship took her final plunge (with the obvious exception of Harvey and Shepherd, these lads did make it on deck)
  • The dedicated ship's orchestra solemnly playing a hymn until the waves closed over them (at some point between 0130 and 0200 the cold and the decks incline must have forced them to stop)
Now, if anyone is offended by what I've just posted, well ............. tough ! That's what the evidence tells us actually happened. These myths of the Titanic disaster were just a comforting falsehood that the public wanted to hear when there was a great tragedy.

Maybe they still do today ? I don't know the answer to that one.

(i) the engineers all stayed in the engine room until the very end,
While it is true that the Titanic's engineers did their duty to their best, there would have been little point in any of them remaining in the engine rooms till the very end. And while none of them survived, IG has gathered evidence that several survivors reported seeing some engineers they know by sight on the boat deck - including Chief Engineer Bell at one stage.
the mail clerks all drowned trying to save bags of mail
Again, there would have been no point. While the traditionally romantic notion of a postal employee doing his duty through doomsday might sound inspirational, it makes little practical sense. Moreover, by 12:15 am the mail rooms were almost completely flooded and uninhabitable.
Captain Smith's last words being "Be British boys, be British !"
No disrespect intended but that "Be British!" quip sounds the corniest of them all. Other than the silliness of it, such a statement would have justifiably made many non-British crew like Bo'sun Nichols, Postal Clerk John March, cellist Roger Bricoux etc (if they was still alive towards the end) and others feel that there was a hidden implication that only the British steadfastly did their duty under crisis.
Charles Joughin being "the drunk baker".
To be fair ( or unfair, depending on the way one looks at it), Joughin might have had a sip or three of booze that night but that almost certainly played no part in his survival. As it has been repeatedly pointed out, drinking alcohol under such conditions significantly increased the risk of hypothermia and death.
These kind of tales may make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside but the evidence tells a very different story.
Absolutely true. I have never believed in or felt comfortable with such pseudo-inspirations either hands-on or hearsay. Reality in the face of nature is usually cold and relentless.

While it is true that the Titanic's engineers did their duty to their best, there would have been little point in any of them remaining in the engine rooms till the very end. And while none of them survived, IG has gathered evidence that several survivors reported seeing some engineers they know by sight on the boat deck - including Chief Engineer Bell at one stage.

Again, there would have been no point. While the traditionally romantic notion of a postal employee doing his duty through doomsday might sound inspirational, it makes little practical sense. Moreover, by 12:15 am the mail rooms were almost completely flooded and uninhabitable.

No disrespect intended but that "Be British!" quip sounds the corniest of them all. Other than the silliness of it, such a statement would have justifiably made many non-British crew like Bo'sun Nichols, Postal Clerk John March, cellist Roger Bricoux etc (if they was still alive towards the end) and others feel that there was a hidden implication that only the British steadfastly did their duty under crisis.

To be fair ( or unfair, depending on the way one looks at it), Joughin might have had a sip or three of booze that night but that almost certainly played no part in his survival. As it has been repeatedly pointed out, drinking alcohol under such conditions significantly increased the risk of hypothermia and death.

Absolutely true. I have never believed in or felt comfortable with such pseudo-inspirations either hands-on or hearsay. Reality in the face of nature is usually cold and relentless.
Arun, Seumas. Thank you for the replies. Interesting to read your take on this. I'll just make 2 quick comments from both your replies. 1. What I admired about the brits was they were up against it but didn't give up. Other countries folded like a warm tortilla when they could have made a better showing.
2. "Reality in the face of nature is usually cold and relentless". That's true. The people on Titanic found that out the hard way. Some back then and many today think we have conquered nature. I hope they don't have to find out the hard way too. Again, interesting and thanks.

What I admired about the brits was they were up against it but didn't give up. Other countries folded like a warm tortilla when they could have made a better showing.
With respect Steve, I think that there is a slight bias to that statement. I'll tell you why I feel that way.

Let us take the Titanic's crew first since by the very nature of the crisis situation they were the more pro-active out of the two categories of people on the ship. The majority of them, including many survivors, showed real grit; but then the majority of them were Brits and so there is not much room for a fair comparison. Those Irish who were or considered themselves as non-Brits did equally well across their smaller spectrum. Of other non-Brits, the Aussie Alfred Nichols stands out and while there is rather sketchy information about him in the latter part of the sinking, what is known strongly suggests that he kept his nerve and did very well. Three of the 5 postal clerks - March, Gwinn and Woody - were Americans and there is no evidence to suggest that they did any less well than their two Brit colleagues Williamson and Jago-Smith.

The passengers' reactions are harder to quantify because there were too many variables - class, location, co-travellers (eg family), language barrier, confrontations with crew (in some cases) etc. But even with all that, I admit that certain section of passengers did better than others, but there were Brits and other nationalities in both groups. The Scandinavians in general stood up well, as did most Brits, Irish and Americans. Since there are no reports of Straus, Astor, Thayer, Widener, Ryerson etc tried to force themselves into any lifeboat, we have to accept that they, like many other rich Americans who did not survive bravely accepted their fate. In fact, if I was asked to name my beau ideal of passenger(s) on board the Titanic in terms of known gentlemanly behaviour and actions, I would quote the American father and son duo of Percival and Richard White.

There have been statements and suggestions that many passengers from countries in southern Europe and the Middle East did not quite measure-up when the crunch came. Even allowing for stereotyped bias and later press embellishment - both common in those days, I admit that there is probably some truth in it. But I would not go so far as to accuse them of "folding-up like tortillas".

I hope you do not mind this post. :)

Last edited:
With respect Steve, I think that there is a slight bias to that statement. I'll tell you why I feel that way.

Let us take the Titanic's crew first since by the very nature of the crisis situation they were the more pro-active out of the two categories of people on the ship. The majority of them, including many survivors, showed real grit; but then the majority of them were Brits and so there is not much room for a fair comparison. Those Irish who were or considered themselves as non-Brits did equally well across their smaller spectrum. Of other non-Brits, the Aussie Alfred Nichols stands out and while there is rather sketchy information about him in the latter part of the sinking, what is known strongly suggests that he kept his nerve and did well. Three of the 5 postal clerks - March, Gwinn and Woody - were Americans and there is no evidence to suggest that they did any less well than their two Brit colleagues Williamson and Jago-Smith.

The passengers' reactions are harder to quantify because there were too many variable - class, location, co-travellers (eg family), language barrier, confrontations with crew (in some cases) etc. But even with all that, I admit that certain section of passengers did better than others, but there were Brits and other nationalities in both groups. The Scandinavians in general stood up well, as did most Brits, Irish and Americans. Since there are no reports of Straus, Astor, Thayer, Widener, Ryerson etc tried to force themselves into any lifeboat, we have to accept that they, like many other rich Americans who did not survive bravely accepted their fate. In fact, if I was asked to name my beau ideal of passenger(s) on board the Titanic in terms of known gentlemanly behaviour and actions, I would quote the American father and son duo of Percival and Richard White.

There have been statements and suggestions that many passengers from countries in southern Europe and the Middle East did not quite measure-up when the crunch came. Even allowing for stereotyped bias and later press embellishment - both common in those days, I admit that there is probably some truth in it. But I would not go so far as to accuse them of "folding-up like tortillas".

I hope you do not mind this post. :)
No I don't mind at all. In fact there's nothing in your reply that I disagree with. I should have made myself clearer. What I meant by that statement was in relation to the brits during WW2. Not the people on Titanic. I was refering to countries that surrendered to the nazi's as fast as they did. To quote Winston Churchill..."What, so soon?" I believe the passengers and crew of Titanic of all countries with a few exceptions from individuals conducted themselves in a manner that I don't think would happen today from some recent examples we've seen. I should have said "in relation to the war" when I was talking about folding up. Cheers.

Great-grandfather would very, very rarely speak of the events of that night, but apparently when he did, he used one word: Pandemonium.

Vanessa
I can very well understand his feelings. William Major was rescued on Lifeboat #13 and there was quite a crowd around it and lifeboat #15, which were loaded and lowered almost together. There were people on both the boat deck and A-decks, a lot of shouting I expect as scouts were being sent out to find more women and children etc. For William Major and other occupants of #13, the experienced of drifting sharply due to the condenser exhaust and then coming under Lifeboat #15 that was almost lowered on top of them must have been a frightening experience.

I can very well understand his feelings. William Major was rescued on Lifeboat #13 and there was quite a crowd around it and lifeboat #15, which were loaded and lowered almost together. There were people on both the boat deck and A-decks, a lot of shouting I expect as scouts were being sent out to find more women and children etc. For William Major and other occupants of #13, the experienced of drifting sharply due to the condenser exhaust and then coming under Lifeboat #15 that was almost lowered on top of them must have been a frightening experience.
Yes, having read up about it myself it must have be very traumatic. I imagine much of his reasoning for not speaking about it comes from a combination of survivor's guilt and ptsd, which again tie into the image of the 'British Stiff Upper Lip' and male survivors being perceived as lesser, in some way.

Vanessa

I imagine much of his reasoning for not speaking about it comes from a combination of survivor's guilt and ptsd, which again tie into the image of the 'British Stiff Upper Lip' and male survivors being perceived as lesser, in some way.
Probably true from his own perspective, but as a fireman, he was almost certainly ordered into the lifeboat by Murdoch or Moody to help with the rowing.

Probably true from his own perspective, but as a fireman, he was almost certainly ordered into the lifeboat by Murdoch or Moody to help with the rowing.
That was my thinking, but I imagine it didn't count for much in his head. He probably had to face bereaved relatives of his crewmates regularly, it must have been very difficult.

Vanessa

Back