Saved from the Titanic film

"...unparalleled...

Good one Jim
happy.gif

Eric

I recall, not exactly fondly, a $7 a night motel room which featured patches of moss growing in the bathroom AND a gen-you-wine ca 1950 DuMont TV set. Some might call it Americana, some might call it me hitting rock bottom, either way I was amazed by the fact that A) it was DuMont and B) it was still working. As I listened to the relaxing sound of gunfire and sirens in the night, I reflected on how much water had gone under the bridge in 36 years....

Back to early color films....within the last few years, a number of surprisingly intact two-strip Technicolor films have resurfaced. The hellish 1929/1930 Judy Garland film, "Bubbles," has a title card announcing that it was filmed in color, but the preserved print is in black and white. MGM made an all-sound all-color musical by the title of the March of Time, ca 1929, but for some reason yanked the plug and left it unreleased and hidden until the 1990s....some great color effects, and fairly undeteriorated.

The most commonly screened color films from the 1910-1915 era, seem to feature the color wash technique. The gold moonlight effect is quite nice, the blue moonlight effect less so, and the gold sunlight effect bizarre because it looks just like the moonlight effect. (In either case the scene was shot in full daylight and then dyed)

Here is an excellent article specifically about the Kinemacolor process: http://widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/kinemaco.htm It was an additive colour process using two colour filters (red and green). The article contains some images from the aforementioned King George V newsreel, which almost look like 3-D images do when you don't wear the special glasses. In any case, it looks astonishingly authentic for a film that early. Since my original post, I have seen a film from the 1920s with certain scenes tinted all one colour, but Kinemacolor looks entirely different.

Does anyone have any information about the *filming* of SAVED FROM THE TITANIC? I'm particularly interested in whether there was a scene set in the lifeboats, and if so how and where it was filmed.

Randy Bryan Bigham's book, FINDING DOROTHY, has an entire chapter devoted to the making of the film. While no print of the film exists, still photographs do, and Miss Gibson's script still exists from what I gather. The film was only one reel and lasted only about 12-17 minutes. It was released May 16, 1912 and ran in theaters throughout the summer. The story is revealed in flashbacks as Dorothy shares her story with friends and relatives. There is a fictional romance intertwined in the story as well.

Sarah,

Kyrila gives a good sumary of the plot for "Saved From the Titanic" (thanks Kyrila). Whether there were lifeboat scenes is anybody's guess until a print of the movie turns up. However, press descriptions indicate the sinking was recreated, which may or may not mean that lifeboats were simulated. In the New York Daily Telegraph (28 April 1912) it was reported that "a miniature vessel" was made as well as "a studio-built ocean and iceberg, effecting a clear reproduction of the terrible affair." The same article lists other depicted scenes as including "the wireless room, the sinking of the great ocean ship, a United States battleship, the rescue and the terrible effects." (A fictional Navy ship apparently stood in for the Carpathia)

The mention of the "rescue" and "terrible effects" seem to imply lifeboat sequences of some sort. In addition, Moving Picture World (11 May 1912) referred vaguely to "mechanical and vision pictures," which likely were sinking and rescue scenes. Moving Picture News (also 11 May 1912) similarly referenced "wonderful mechanical and lighting effects."

Although "Finding Dorothy" may have a second printing in future, right now it's unavailable. But other writers have done excellent work, and their studies should be consulted. I would suggest readers interested in Dorothy Gibson and "Saved From the Titanic" get the following great books: "Lost Films" by Frank Thompson, "The Titanic and Silent Cinema" by Stephen Bottomore, and "The Titanic in Pictures" by Simon Mills. Don Lynch in the "Titanic Commutator" (THS), John Eaton in "Voyage" (TIS), and Phillip Gowan/Brian Meister in "Atlantic Daily Bulletin" (BTS) have also written important articles on Dorothy Gibson that helped inspire my book.

Randy

Hello Randy and all,

quote:

"Lost Films" by Frank Thompson,
I've heard of this one but never read it! Do you know how popular "Saved From The Titanic" was at the time of it's release? I've heard it was thought to be exploitive by some. I didn't know you wrote a book on Dororthy Gibson! I've always been intrested in Silent Film! I saw Cecil B DeMille's "The Cheat" 1915 the Sunday before last!​

George: "Do you know how popular "Saved From The Titanic" was at the time of it's release?"

Hi, George, the film was very popular. Next to Dorothy Gibson's first starring role in "Hands Across the Sea" (1911), it was the most publicized. Actually, judging by the number of "Saved From the Titanic" ads appearing even in small-town newspapers, it was likely more popular. Movie magazines carried lots of hoopla about it, not all of which can be relied on as Eclair, the studio Dorothy worked for, was an advertiser in most of them. But I think it's safe to say it was very successful, and not just in the US but in England and France.

George: "I've heard it was thought to be exploitive by some."

You are right that there was concern in the press during production that the film would be exploitive but it didn't receive any criticism along those lines. The opposite in fact. The New York Daily Telegraph (28 April 1912) reported that care was being taken by Eclair that "Saved From the Titanic" would not "offend the sensibilities of the public, which still feels the terrible bitterness of the accident." Moving Picture News (11 May 1912) also pointed out that the "harassing details that might offend good taste are carefully omitted, but the story of the wreck, the love interest, and the effects of the calamity are all depicted."

Eclair had Dorothy write the scenario so in that sense it was authentic, at least regarding the basic facts of her escape and rescue. In retrospect was "Saved" exploitive? A case could be made that it was, but the star wanted to do it, and the film's popularity proves it fulfilled a widespread public desire for more information on the tragedy. Finally, Dorothy didn't use it, as she could have, to further her career in the industry. "Saved" was her next to last film. She considered producer Jules Brulatour to be her real prize, and it was her misfortune that she chose to pursue her affair with him instead of continuing in motion pictures.

Randy

Hi Randy!

Well "Saved From the Titanic" doesn't sound exploitative from the plot! Pretty cut and dried really to me from that plot and what you've told me! Eclair Studios sounds familiar from somewhere! Wait a minute!!! Didn't Evelyn Nesbit made a movie with them?? I just read a book on her Called "American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White: The Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century" by Paula Uruburu! I to rack my memory!

http://www.amazon.com/American-Eve-Evelyn-Stanford-Century/dp/1594489939

I wonder if any of Eclair's other movies are known today! A lot of early studios made movies and are gone with the wind unfortunately. All that remains are pay stubs and records and film cans with dust in them or a rubbery gook!

Regarding Miss Dorothy it's a pity she decided on setting her cap on Mr. Jules! He must of had or represented something she wanted out of life! I'll have to read your book on her to see!
happy.gif
Reading about Sisi the Forgotten Empress Of Austria!

Hey, George. Since he is one of your Facebook contacts, might I suggest that you contact Phil Gowan ASAP? Most of what has subsequently been written about Dorothy derives from his original article, and he has been exceptionally generous in sharing his research... all documented, every last relevant photocopy, article,letter and email... with serious-minded persons who take the time to ask. You'll be glad you did!

Thank you Jim for the advice! Yes, Phil Gowan is a great researcher and I am glad to have him as a friend on Facebook! I was already thinking about getting in touch with him already after I saw Randy paying tribute to Phil and saying how Phil inspired him and telling fellow ET'ers to consult Phil's Article in an earlier post. Perhaps I will after reading Randy's book! Phil's a busy fella and I'd feel bad about bugging him with no real specific questions. I really don't know that much about Dorothy.

Also I'm lucky to have "Finding Dorothy" on hold from the Library and am looking forward to reading it, Randy!

I'm very lucky to have met and know some intelligent and courteous people here on ET to help me with my study of history! I hope too be able to research more about things that interest me while in Columbia and keep up with everything! But in case this isn't possible at least I know I got to thank the people who's kindness has made my stay here at ET fun and informative and more then made up for the few backbiters I've had the misfortune to ran across!

Back